Lentil and Pumpkin Savoury Rolls


Hello Dear Reader,

You can easily double the recipe for a crowd

Anything savoury and warm in golden and flaky puff pastry is kinda hard to beat, add in a super tasty and nutritious filling and these little tasty morsels, kick all the goals. I am simply loving all the recipes from The Life Of Clare blog and this is another one of Clares' that shines. I think, for my taste, next time I will add some dried chilli flakes and some Cumin when roasting the pumpkin, to add a little zing.

Ingredients

1 cup mashed pumpkin, I first roasted the pumpkin and then mashed it
1 can of lentils, rinsed and drained
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cups of breadcrumbs
1/2 cup of oats
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon tomato sauce or sweet chilli sauce
1 Teaspoon each Cumin and Chilli Flakes ( optional )
2 sheets frozen puff pastry
sesame seed or nigella seeds for sprinkling
cream for glazing and sealing

Method

Preheat oven to 180 C and line an oven tray with baking paper
Remove puff pastry from the freezer
In a bowl, combine the pumpkin, drained lentils, beaten egg, 1 cup of breadcrumbs, oats, sauce and spices, if using. Mix well. Check the consistency, if it is too "wet" add more breadcrumbs until you are happy with it. **
Cut each sheet of puff pasty in half, length ways. Using a pastry brush dipped in cream, brush cream along the side of the puff pastry, this will be the seal. 
Place about a 1/4 of mixture down the middle of each length of pastry. Shape into a long sausage shape.
Fold puff pasty over mixture and roll to seal
Cut each length into four equal pieces and brush with cream, sprinkle with sesame seeds or nigella seeds
Put into hot oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden
Serve with sauce of choice

Golden Morsels of Goodness 


** I baked the pumpkin and this makes it a dryer consistency than if you steamed or boiled the pumpkin. It makes for a firmer mixture and is easier to handle

4 comments

  1. I stopped by your blog today. Those look delicious.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum these look amazing! What a clever recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Clare's blog too, Fiona and these are on my list to try. I need to make a batch of little mini chicken sausage rolls too so I might do them all at once. I will often make up quite a few and then freeze them so that, for an easy dinner, all I have to do is defrost and bake. We usually have them after a homemade soup. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super tasty and I love that idea of making a big batch and freezing for later! I will have to give your chicken sausage rolls a go too, they sound delicious.

      Delete

Back to Top