Roast Pumpkin Hummus


Hello Dear Reader,

I adore Nigella, simply love her. I have all her cook books and I have read them all like novels. I especially love her warm and witty writing style and of course her recipes are divine. In January this year I went to see her at Brisbane City Hall for "Nigella Lawson, In Conversation"

My ticket to see Nigella 

She was so gracious and lovely and still smiling at 11pm! 

I waited for 2 hours in line to have my copy of Simply Nigella signed. 

The best tip I gleaned from her latest book "Simply Nigella" is to bulk cook chickpeas in the slow cooker. The end result is soft, smooth, squidgy, non-chalky or gritty, chickpeas. No need to pre-soak, just pop them in to the slow cooker bowl, add some bicarb soda and top with about 5 cm of water, then cook on low for 8 hours. I then drain them into a colander and bag them up in 250 gram lots and freeze them. This amount is equal to what you get from a drained 400gram can of chickpeas.

The 1 kilo bag of dried chickpeas made 10x250 gram bags. In the freezer, ready to use

Anyway, back to the recipe at hand. Pumpkins have been on special for the last couple of weeks and as I love the flavour of roast Pumpkin, I thought the sweetness would go beautifully with a garlic-y, hummus. After I tasted the finished product I thought instead of sieving over some Cumin as I normally do, I would use Cinnamon, it is amazing, you just have to try it, think the flavour of pumpkin scone. I have used my Thermomix for this recipe but any food processor would do the trick.

Ingredients for Roast Pumpkin and Garlic Hummus

Toss pumpkin with cumin and oil

Put cumin covered pumpkin onto a lined oven tray along with the head of garlic

Roast in preheated oven for 25 minutes until soft and golden 

Put all remaining ingredients into the TM bowl. Blitz for 30 seconds on speed 7

Smooth and silky Roast Pumpkin and Garlic Hummus

Dust with Cinnamon to finish


Ingredients

800 grams of peeled and seeded pumpkin, cubed
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 tablespoon oil (I use Rice Bran oil for everything)
1 head of garlic, with the top cut off, to expose the cloves
250 grams cooked chickpeas
2 tablespoon Tahini
2 teaspoon maple syrup or 1 teaspoon of honey
2 tablespoon oil
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon of salt
Cinnamon for dusting

Method
Preheat oven to 200 C, line an oven tray with glad bake
In a bowl, toss together the pumpkin, cumin and 1 tablespoon oil until pumpkin is covered in cumin and oil. Transfer to lined oven tray along with the head of garlic. Roast for 25 minutes until pumpkin and garlic are soft and golden, remove from oven
Squeeze out the roasted garlic from the cloves
Place roasted pumpkin, garlic, chickpeas, tahini, maple syrup, oil, lime juice and salt in the TM bowl, blitz on speed 7 for 30 seconds
Pour and scrape into serving bowl and dust with a tiny amount of cinnamon. You just want a hint of cinnamon



So, tell me, what do you make when Pumpkins are a good price? 

6 comments

  1. Lucky you! I love her too. She obviously loves her food. She's luscious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is really quite petite in real life, she was just so generous with her time and as I said still smiling at 11pm.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the tip re chickpeas. I have been a bit lazy and just using the cans. I do have dried ones here though so I will try that recipe.

    Your hummus looks delicious!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Tania. The hummus really is delicious and the chickpeas end up really soft and plump from the slow cooker.
      Fi

      Delete
  3. We don't know Nigella Lawson in France; I've learnt about her books through blogs from overseas. She looks lovely though and that recipe is full of sunshine !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Nigella and all her books , I think she always cooks, good, real food, with gusto and style. And yes isn't that hummus a glorious shade of yellow. It tastes just divine.

      Delete

Back to Top