This weeks 5 frugal things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

After last Saturdays rather tropical feel, the temps plummeted again during the week and me, being a big sissy haven't ridden my bike to work at all this week (insert really sad face here) It isn't far at all to get to work and I usually enjoy the brisk ride in, however I have had a nasty headache most of the week and it was compounded on Wednesday.

On Wednesday arvo lovely Hubby accidentally put dinner on high on the stove and left the house to run an errand. What he was supposed to do was to put 1 kg of chicken thigh fillets into the big saucepan and cover it with the left over broth from Saturdays "Drunken Chicken" pop it on very low and let it poach gently, creating another meal. What he did though, was popped it on the stove, turned the stove on to high (completely by accident) and left the house. Oh my, the mess it created! Plumes of smoke and a horrible, yellow, sticky, grease covering everything. We were so very lucky that it didn't catch fire and burn the house down! The whole house just stinks of smoke and made me feel quite nauseous and headachy. This has given us all a terrible fright and he promises to be more careful in future. I keep telling him, he need to slow down.

I am going to try and save the pot as it is my favourite and I use it for so many things. It is currently having a good soak with a dishwasher tablet dissolved in it to try and loosen the charcoaled debris that was left.

So dinner that night was not more "Drunken Chicken" it was, after a quick trip to Coles on the way home, Chicken and Pesto Pasta. I used the rest of the frozen pesto I had in the freezer.

So, on with frugal things-

1. Packed my lunch every day to take to work. I subscribed to Mightynest/Mightyfix a while ago and the metal container on the right (which comes with a leak proof lid) along with a slightly smaller version, was my first delivery. I love them, as they don't leak and don't absorb odour! Sweet.


2. Used up the rest of the frozen, home made Rocket and Basil Pesto to make a quick meal of Chicken and Pesto Pasta after the cremation of dinner on Wednesday afternoon. I froze the Rocket and Basil Pesto down in ice cube trays and popped them out into a small container, ready to use when needed. Easy


3. Made a batch of "My Mums Pickling Vinegar" to pickle home grown chillies





4. Watered the garden using tank water (the pump is up and running again)








5. Cleaned the house with home made cleaners, which are cheap as chips to make and just as effective as store bought, chemically loaded products






So, over to you, dear reader. Tell me your frugal or free achievements this week.

9 comments

  1. Dear Fiona
    I enjoy your blog very much and find your posts very encouraging. I do hope you managed to get your saucepan clean. Best wishes Lyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Thanks so much for the kind words, they are very much appreciated. The burnt offering of a pot is not looking good, I am going to let it soak for a few more days. I will try and face it on Monday afternoon. Have a lovely weekend
      Fi

      Delete
  2. Hey Fiona sorry to hear about the chicken incident. That would have been a terrible fright! I once burnt a plastic container of quinoa (not enough water) in the microwave and it burnt very badly. The smell was horrendous and didn't get out of my nose for quite a few days. Not surprised you've had headaches. I've had headaches this week too actually. Just trying to drink lots of water! Christina xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina,
      That burnt smell just permeates everything, even my clothes hanging in the bedroom wardrobe smell of funky smoke!
      I know I haven't been drinking enough water and I have a sneaky suspicision that's exactly what it is. I have also been drinking a lot of (too much) licourice tea and think this is contributing to the headaches as well, but I just love the taste of it, I will have to cut back I think. Have a lovely weekend
      Fi

      Delete
  3. Oh, dear! I live in fear that this is what my husband would do to our kitchen if he tried to cook anything other than toast and sausages:) I hope you can air out your house over weekend and fix your beloved saucepan. I've had a really frugal week as I've spent all of it in bed with bad flu...so I haven't been anywhere or spent anything much. We've relied a lot on things I've had stockpiled in freezer (given my husband's aforementioned cooking skills) so have just reheated those as too ill to cook. I did get my husband to do groceries today and he was able to use a $20off voucher at the butcher shop where we buy our organic meat and a few veggies and bulk cooking staples. I typically use that voucher, which we receive periodically, to buy a whole organic chicken for roasting, leftovers and soup. While I've been resting, I've managed to do a little more crafting to add to my present stockpile for Christmas at end of year. Hoping to save some money on gift-giving that way this year. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg,
      You poor darlin, I hope you will feel better soon. Thank heavens for your well stocked freezer.
      This is the first and hopefully the last kitchen nightmare that hubby has been involved in. I once left a pot of chillies in pickling vinegar boil dry, now that is a smell to take your breath away and make your eyes water. I have never left another pot of chillies unattended again.
      It is such a great idea to stockpile presents, I must start that some day soon. What kind of gifts do you make? I would love some inspiration.
      Can I ask where you go for your bulk cooking staples? and what do you buy there?
      Have a splendid weekend
      Fi

      Delete
    2. Hi, Fi. I gather our food and staples from several different places. I try to keep costs down by shopping wisely, growing some of our own food and making as much as possible from scratch. I grow some veg and herbs in our garden and I supplement that with produce from farmer's markets (Northey St, Mitchelton Farmer's markets) or local Fresh Extremes fruit/veg market at Albany Creek which, although not organic produce, is always fresh. I source staples, like flours, coconut, rices etc. from bulk bins meaning that I can take my own bags, reduce plastic and find best bulk prices.(I keep an eye on monthly specials at Wray Organics, for example) For meat, I always go to "The Meat-ting Place at McDowall, in Brisbane. We don't eat a great deal of meat and I'm selective to keep costs down. I tend to stick to cheaper cuts (e.g. mince, sausages, chicken thighs, not chicken breasts, buying chuck steak to make stew, homemade pies etc.) I also check out grocery specials each week at major supermarkets where I sometimes get things like chocolate chips when they come on special. For gift giving, I'm knitting washcloths and stitching simple and beautiful felt dove ornaments too like the ones Melissa makes over at tiny happy blog. (She's got a free pattern on her blog for them and they are easy to make. I also want to make some peppermint scrub and some fizzy bath bombs to go with my washcloths this year. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. Hi I am new to your blog, I found you through One Contented Homebody. I don't know why I haven't found you before, as I notice some of your commenters are from bloggers I follow, either way, I love what I'm reading so far. What a kitchen disaster! It's so annoying when things like that happen, because of the time and effort it takes to clean it all up. The handle on my blender broke while I was using it once, the blended was full of hot tomato chilli relish, and it flew everywhere over the kitchen! (luckily I avoided any burns) Even a week later , when I thought I'd cleaned it all, I would find another sticky spot to scrub! I look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! hot chili being splattered throughout the kitchen would have been terrible, so lucky you weren't burnt! It's funny how we all tend to gravitate toward like minded folk isn't? I try a post every day so do drop by. Have a wonderful weekend. Fi

      Delete

Back to Top