Easy Lime "Cheesecake"

Hello Dear Reader,

When I was growing up, my Mum used to make a beautiful Passionfruit Cheesecake, what we didn't know then is that there was no cheese element in it at all! Of course, traditionally, you usually make cheesecake with cream cheese, but we didn't know any different and just loved this special little dessert, whenever she made it. Mum would serve it with Tongola cream(does anyone else remember this), it was a dairy cream that used to come in a can, again we didn't know any different and just devoured this special treat.

For the 'cheese' element mum used a tin of condensed milk and she would use lemon juice to set the cheesecake. She would make it the day before serving so it time to really set. Low and behold, there I was reading one of my all time favourite blogs the other day and there was mums cheesecake recipe (minus the passionfruit) for all the world to see. Mel has added 3 egg yolks and baked the cheesecake of a short time to really make sure it sets well. And, I am pleased to say, it does the trick. I have altered the recipe, using lime juice instead of lemon, reducing the amount of butter in the base and I have used a 24 cm springform tin, instead of a pie dish.

I have topped the cheesecake with strawberries and passionfruit from our garden but you choose any fruit you like or simply leave it plain and serve it with softly whipped cream.

For the biscuit base:

In a bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups of biscuit crumb (I used some gingerbread biscuits)
 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 80 grams of melted butter. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated and "wet" from the melted butter
Pour into a lined and buttered(sides as well) 24 cm springform tin
Press down evenly with a flat bottomed glass
Bake at 180C for 8 minutes, take out of oven, set aside to cool
For the Filling:

Ingredients for filling-3 egg yolks, 2/3 cup of lime juice, 2 cans condensed milk (I use ALDI brand)
Separate egg yolks (freeze the egg whites for a pavlova, oh yeh!)
In the bowl of a stand mixer, add 2 cans condensed milk, 3 egg yolks and 2/3 cup of lime juice. Whisk for 3 minutes, on medium speed, until glossy and smooth. I have to apologise as there are no photos of the filling being whisked or put into the waiting springform tin. I got busy making dinner, oops, but it really did happen!
Bake in a preheated, 180 C, oven for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate overnight
Gently remove set cheesecake from springform tin, put onto a serving plate and top with desired fruit or just serve with whipped cream


So, tell me, what is your all time favourite cheesecake?

3 comments

  1. That looks lovely!
    It must be a cheesecake kind of week, I made a family recipe no bake cheesecake this weekend for a party. It's a winner, everyone loves it. I'm wondering what it would taste like with lime in it instead of the lemon now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I have a recipe for a no-cheese cheesecake too. It's made similarly but with lemon and not lime. The base is a sponge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cheesecake looks spectacular and yes I do remember that tinned cream. It was a delicious treat when we went camping served with tinned fruit. Luxury!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top