Home Made Vanilla Essence

Hello Dear Reader,

This is something I have wanted to do for a L-O-N-G time but somehow, hadn't gotten around to doing it. I have had some perfect sized glass jars ready to go for such a long time and every time I saw them, I would think, I must do something about that project! So last week I bit the bullet and ordered some vanilla on line, went to a liquor shop and bought the cheapest vodka I could find and yesterday morning got those two ingredients together, to work their magic.

Now all I have to do is wait the two months for the vanilla to permeate the vodka and I can start using it. I have gone with the "keeping the vanilla pods whole, intact and uncut" method of making this vanilla essence so then I can harvest all the black gold (the vanilla seeds) to use at a later date.

I sourced the vanilla from here and the vodka was, as I said, just the cheapest that the liquor shop had. I didn't outlay a huge sum of money so if this little project doesn't work out, I won't be too upset.

The ratio I have used is very generous, as I would rather use more vanilla per volume of vodka to  have a better chance of it working out. So the ratio I used is - 4 vanilla pods per 250 mls to 300 mls of  vodka

Ingredients for homemade vanilla essence-vanilla pods and vodka
Add 4 vanilla pods to clean glass jars
Pour vodka over and put lids on. Simple


I will get back to you in 2 months to see how this project has gone. Wish me luck
So tell me, have you had a go at making vanilla essence? How did it work out?

4 comments

  1. I have read about this way of making vanilla essence, I will be very interested to see how your's turns out. I buy vanilla extract, which is getting very expensive indeed, so it will be interesting to know the cost and flavour of making it at home, please do get back to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, yes I can't wait to see how it turns out too. I probably will update the post with costings per jar later today. Have a terrific Tuesday.

      Delete
  2. My daughter has made her own vanilla essence using this method and it was very successful.I think you will be pleased with the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made some but split the pods. It was very good but it meant there were little black specks in whatever I used it for. I will be interested to see what you think of your non-seedy vanilla essence. Also interested in the costings as I made mine with pods my daughter brought me from Tahiti and vodka someone had given us = free!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top