Spiced Roast Chicken with Mandarin Sauce

Hello Dear Reader,

This golden mandarin sauce elevates the humble roast chicken to a new high, the method for making this delicious sauce is similar for when making a standard gravy but you don't thicken it. It is such a gorgeous sauce to serve with a equally golden, roast chicken and I think it would work for roast pork as well.

To Roast the Chicken
Ingredients for the Roast Chicken. A 1.5 kg chook rinsed inside and out, 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon and salt, juice and 1/2 the zest of a lime and 3 tablespoon of oil (I use rice bran oil for everything)
Add all marinade ingredients to a bowl and mix well
Massage over the chook
Throw the lime halves into the cavity, tie legs together to keep them in and place on a roasting rack over a roasting tray. 
Pour 1 cup of water into the tray and cook at 200 C for just over one hour. Every oven is different, mine took exactly 1 hour and 4 minutes. My oven is a SMEG and it has built in pre-programs. You just dial up the weight of the chicken and voila, a perfectly roasted chicken

For the Mandarin Sauce
Ingredients for Mandarin sauce, six mandarins, four spring onions, two garlic cloves-grated,
a good knob of ginger-grated, 1 cup chicken stock, 1/4 cup of dry sherry, 1 teaspoon each of light soy and white sugar
Zest one mandarin
And juice all six mandarins
Once the roast chicken has finished cooking, place on a serving platter and cover with foil, set aside to rest. Pour off the fat and roast juices and set aside. Skim fat off roast juices and add two tablespoons back to roasting pan. Put onto a lowish heat on the cook top. Add garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute
(I use one of these jugs to separate the roasting juice from the oil)
Then deglaze the pan with the dry sherry. Stir and loosen all the sticky goodness on the bottom of the roast pan
The add the 1 cup of chicken stock and reserved roast juices and continue stirring and scraping the pan
Now add the zest and juice of mandarins
Bring to a gentle boil, stirring the whole time
Stain this gorgeous sauce through a fine sieve into a medium saucepan. On medium/high heat let it reduce a little. Then season with soy and sugar. 
Carve chicken into serving pieces and ladle over mandarin sauce


Perfectly roasted chicken with mandarin sauce

Serve extra mandarin sauce at the table for everyone to drizzle over their chicken


So, tell me, what is your favourite fruit and meat recipe? Do you remember Chicken in Apricot Nectar?

6 comments

  1. Ah apricot nectar!! My mum classic that brings back memories. I loved how she served with pea rice and it was always very tender. Love the sound of your SMEG oven - my oven is a shocker old electric very temperamental so I've never enjoyed cooking roasts in there but hopefully when we upgrade next year. I'll have to remember SMEG as a good brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, so funny cause my mum always served peas and "boiled rice" with her apricot chicken, I loved every bit of it.

      Delete
  2. I have perfected a roast lamb, but a great roast chicken eludes me, I always worry about them not being cooked properly, so I tend to overcook them and dry them out! I may try your method next time. The sauce sounds divine, we have a mandarine tree, and when it's in fruit I'm always looking for ways to use them up, so I will keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, you are so lucky having a mandy tree in your garden, I love the puffy skin variety, they are always so sweet and full of juice.

      Delete
  3. The chicken dish sounds delicious and looks wonderful presented on a platter. Perfect for family entertaining. Can't wait to try this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica, it is such a great recipe, the flavour is fantastic. I have quite a few lovely platters, all inherited from from my husbands Gran, she was quite the entertainer.

      Delete

Back to Top