This weeks 5 Frugal things on a Friday


Hello Dear Reader,

Frugality is never far from my mind, I am always searching for ways to save money and make it go further. I get daily inspiration from the blogs I read as well as my stash of recipes, tips and hints. This week was no exception. I stretched a 1.5 kg chicken to two recipes/meals and both were easy and substantial.

The first recipe was a twist on the classic Roast Chicken and the second was a Chicken and Sweet Corn soup, which was taken, by me, for lunch every day. It was perfect for lunch, not too heavy and full of goodness. I also used up leftovers from lovely Hubby's Birthday dinner, to make another meal. There is nothing wrong with leftovers, as long as the food is handled, stored and re-heated well, there won't be a problem.

I believe a great place to start being more careful with your money is to look at what food you buy and then what you cook with it. I use the theory of less is more and only buy enough food for the week ahead, every last item of food is used up and there is no waste. This system works for us as we live very close to 3 major supermarkets and shop weekly.

So, I think this weeks 5 frugal things on a Friday will all be food related-


1. Woke up my sourdough starter and made a loaf of Sesame and Sunflower Sourdough Bread



2. Made homemade Tahini then made a batch of Garlic-y Hummus. I cook my chickpeas in bulk in the slow cooker and freeze them in 250 gram lots. This amount is equal to one 400gram can of chickpeas


3. Packed my lunch everyday



4. Made a big pot of Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup using the frame of a Roast Chicken.


5. Made Chorizo and Chickpea Pot Pies (recipe coming soon) from ingredient already in the house. I had frozen a surplus packet of Chorizo from when I made Feijoada and, as mentioned above, I cook chickpeas in a big batch and freeze them down in 250gram lots. No need to buy herbs as my Oregano and Parsley are growing well. 




So, tell me, what were your frugal or free achievements this week?


1 comment

  1. Wow Fionas, lots of nice meals there. I just thought I would let you know our Jaboticaba is currently flowering. How is yours going? I think you said you had already bought one.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top