Peanut Butter Hummus


Hello Dear Reader,


I found this recipe a long time ago in one of Nigella Lawsons' books and have been wanting to have a go at making it for sometime, but, whenever I would make hummus I always went the traditional path by using Tahini. Not this time though! And I have to say, it is totally delicious and has won me over. I can't see myself using Tahini for Hummus ever again.

Tahini does have a slight bitter note to it and that odd note always came through in my hummus. The peanut butter flavour is not overwhelming and because you still use the traditional flavours of garlic, lemon/lime and cumin, it tastes just like a yummy hummus should. I have used lime in this hummus as our lime tree still has limes on it from last season, albeit going yellow from too long on the tree. In the final product, when you taste the hummus, all you get is a citrus tang, so, to my taste, it doesn't matter if you use lime or lemon.

I use my home made peanut butter in this hummus, but I think you could easily sub in the mixed roasted nut butter for extra goodness and flavour.

Ingredients for Peanut Butter Hummus-from top right-2 tablespoon oil (I use Rice bran oil for everything), 250 grams cooked chickpeas, that equates to a 400 gram can of chickpeas drained and rinsed, 1 clove of garlic grated on a microplane, 2 tablespoon lime juice, 3 tablespoon peanut butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste, 1 teaspoon ground cumin

In a food processor, add all ingredients and blitz until smooth and silky. Easy

I served this wonderful hummus with my home made nut and seed crackers

So, tell me, what variation of hummus do you love? 

2 comments

  1. I just made your hummus for a wine tasting night we're having tomorrow (hope it goes
    with Grenache!). It is delish! I did find I had to put a little water in when I
    blended it as it was too thick but I used chunky peanut butter since that was what we
    had in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona
    I saw a recipe the other day for zucchini hummus, you cook the zucchini on a grill and then blend with chickpeas and the other usual flavours. Haven't tried it yet but it did sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top