This Weeks 5 Frugal Things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

I find a week of simple, frugal living, flies by, just as fast, as what the alternative to my lifestyle would. I think I achieve more though, as I stay at home as much as I can and don't spend time in the shops, looking for happiness. I work full time and retirement is a long way off, but I do daydream about the day I can stay at home more and work towards my dream of self sufficiency.

 I would have a large and productive veggie garden, a fruit orchard and chickens for eggs. In the kitchen I would be baking bread very early in the morning and I would be getting the housework done by morning tea time. I would then turn my attention to a quilt or such and spend some time in my sewing room. After lunch would see me in the garden, pottering, watering, weeding, planting and seeing to the chickens. I would become proficient at preserving, fermenting and jam making. All the while being healthy and staying active because of this lifestyle I have chosen.

That is the dream I am working towards, nothing flash, just a simple productive life. To me, it sounds like heaven.

So in preparation for that simple, frugal and productive future life, this is what I have been up to on the frugal front.

1. Made Sorrel soup from a home grown abundance of this lemon-y herb and home made chicken stock



2. Topped up the hand wash bottle with some unused body wash that was lurking under my daughters side of their vanity. My daughter moved out of home about 2 years ago, it's funny how there is still so much of her "stuff" here. *I use "Thank you" hand wash and hand cream, it's a wonderful idea that started with "Thank you Water" and have grown to incorporate lots of life changing products. All reasonable in price and very good quality.

*This is not a paid endorsement and the views are entirely my own.

3. Packed my lunch each day to take to work. I had a go at making my own bees wax wraps, it is a work in progress, these ones are okay, but I need to work on the ratio of wax and coconut oil. I am not 100% happy with them yet, when I am I will post about them


4. Fed the stag horns the banana peels every morning after cutting up our fruit salads for breakfast. The banana peels make excellent fertiliser for these magnificent plants. We have two of them and they are getting to be a good size now.


5. I have started to learn how to do some simple knitting from a lovely lady at work, she is just amazing at crochet and knitting and will often make her own patterns. I want to learn how to make dish washing cloths, I think it will be a good place to start for me as they are small and only require simple knitting. The one in the photo is using acrylic wool, just to learn on, but I want to make the cloths out of cotton. 


So, tell me Dear reader, are you living your dream? 

3 comments

  1. Hi there, I recently discovered your blog and I love it! I check every day for an update :-) I think I am living my dream - I work part time which for me is a wonderful balance of work and stay at home. My life changed (for the better - although I didn't see it at the time) about 2 years ago when I had to leave a long term full time role which was very well paid (and very full on). I completely changed careers to part time. I have a small garden and we are very focused on paying off our mortgage ASAP. Really enjoy your blog! Rachael xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your retirement plan sounds wonderful. I am hoping to retire from Social Work in the next three years. It will mean retiring early, and on a reduced pension, but will give me peace. I am very much enjoying your blog. Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent made my own wraps yet but have watched a few how to blogs. I don't recall them using coconut oil. I personally would be a bit wary using coconut oil as it is very solid in cold temperatures and then entirely liquid when it is hot. I remember some people using jojoba oil but that is expensive, otherwise I saw one person using 100% bees wax. Her method was on an old tray lay down your cloth, evenly sprinkle over grated wax or pastime pellets, place in a preheated oven (sorry forgot the temp) and use a pastry brush to paint the wax evenly over the cloth, repeat if there are any gaps in coverage. Hope you get it to work for you. Also I think it is recommended to use a closely woven high quality cotton like quilters cotton.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top