Cleaning the Showers. Take 3

Hello Dear Reader,

A little while ago, I posted about a fantastic shower cleaner I had made, I was so happy with the results that I blogged about it straight away. However the next time I went to use it, it had gone rock-Hudson-hard. I think what I created was a little science experiment that went wrong or right which ever way you look at it. If the experiment was to make a very hard, rock like substance, than I got it right, but, we all know I just wanted to make a good non-toxic shower cleaner. We also, all know, that this particular shower cleaner (number 2), except for the first time you use it, was an epic fail. I am so very sorry to any of my lovely readers (I am looking at you, Darlene) that made this very good shower cleaner only to find that the next time you went to use it, it had turned to rock.

As I don't like to waste anything, I continued to use the "rock-Hudson-hard" shower cleaner by watering it down and giving the jar a really good shake. It was okay, I still got a fairly clean shower even though it was not full strength. So I set to work researching a new shower cleaner that would stay stable. Enter Shower Cleaner, Number 3. I found the "recipe" over at "The Life of Clare" and I have to say, I love it. It cleans both the shower glass and the tiles extremely well and best of all stays "paste" like, so its good for now and for next time your shower is calling you.

I must admit I did have a little mess when I added the vinegar to the jar with the other two ingredients in, it just bubbled and fizzed so much that it over flowed the jar, so when you make it, make it in a large glass or plastic bowl, okay! Any cleaner that is left you can then store it in a screw top jar.

Ingredients for Shower Cleaner Number 3, from left
A very good squirt of dish washing liquid, 1/2 cup of plain white vinegar and 1 cup of Bicarb of Soda
To a large glass or plastic bowl, add the bicarb and the dishwashing liquid, then pour in the vinegar. Give it a really good stir with a plastic spoon, it will start to froth and bubble and will also grow in volume. This does settle however, and if you start with a large enough bowl to accomodate this, it will be all right in the end
This shower cleaner makes a paste, so it is very easy to use and as I mentioned, it will stay stable for future use

I offer this new shower cleaner recipe, to everyone, especially Darlene, as my way of an
apology, for leading you all down the garden path or is that the shower drain. Sorry


So, tell me, have you ever had a "epic-fail" with homemade cleaners, like me?

2 comments

  1. Hello Fiona, I'm sure this recipe will be a success and will make it up this weekend, but all was not lost with #2 cleaner, by scraping some out with a knife it was very good for cleaning tea stained cups & mugs.....thanks once again I do enjoy your generosity with sharing your cooking & cleaning recipes & tips.....Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number 3 a winner Fiona, thanks again Darlene.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top