My Sticky Date Pudding Recipe


Hello Dear Reader,

I have been making this recipe for about 20 years, the original recipe came from a newspaper clipping, torn from a newspaper, after the piece of newspaper started to wear out, I wrote the recipe down, in my terrible handwriting, into an old exercise book. Now, over time, that exercise book also started to look shabby, so I tore out all the recipes I wanted to keep and now have this piece of old paper filed in one of my recipe folders.


After making this sticky date pudding so many times (read, hundreds) you would think that I would know this recipe back to front, but just like my mum used to do with frequently used recipes, I get the recipe out to refer to every time I make this divine dessert. It is by far and away my sons favourite dessert and he always requests it for his birthday dinner. I have also made it with many different combinations of flour depending on what I had in the house at the time, but I mostly use just white SR flour

I made this sticky date pudding, over the last long weekend, as a surprise for when the boys got home from their fishing trip a few weeks ago. Once a year, just isn't enough, for this super yummy dessert! It is really easy to make and is divine served warm with ice-cream or pouring cream.


Ingredients for Sticky Date Pudding, clockwise from top right-
300 grams brown sugar, divided, 1 teaspoon bicarb, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste, 70 grams butter, 50 grams for the pudding and 20 grams for the toffee sauce, 2 eggs, 180 grams dates, 1 cup boiling water, 250 mL cream and 180 grams SR flour 

Roughly cut up the dates and sprinkle over bicarb 

Then pour over boiling water, set aside until cool 

In the bowl of a stand mixer, place 50 grams of butter and 150 grams brown sugar 

Cream until light and fluffy 

Add eggs one at a time until well combined 





What well combined looks like 

Now add the cooled date mixture 

And mix until well combined. It will look a bit curdled, but thats okay, it's how it supposed to look 

Now add the SR flour to the stand mixer bowl 

And again mix well until combined. I use the lowest speed on the stand mixer to do this 

Ready for the baking tin 

Grease and line a square 20 cm baking tin and pour in pudding batter 

Bake in a preheated, 180 C oven, for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on how "hot" your oven is. Cool slightly in tin and then carefully remove pudding and let cool on a wire cake cooler 

Once pudding is cool enough to handle, transfer to a suitable dish that will also take the toffee sauce 

I cut mine into squares before I add the toffee sauce

Toffee Sauce 
In a medium saucepan add 250 ml cream, 150 gram brown sugar, 20 grams butter and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste 

Gently mix on medium heat until butter is melted and the sugar is well combined. Don't boil the sauce 

Pour over waiting pudding. Pop back into a 180 C oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly

So, tell me, what is your most requested, hands down, most favourite, family dessert?

2 comments

  1. For my sweet-toothed Mexican son-in-law it would be cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing, for my husband and daughter it would be apricot or plum pie. But everyone would agree on apple crumble and vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same again here. All-round family favorite is apple crumble. My favorite is lemon cheesecake and my daughter the good old pavlova.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top