Rosemary and Lemon Salt PLUS a Sunday Lamb Roast cooked in a Clay Pot


Hello Dear Reader,

Flavouring salt, is such a simple idea, that adds an amazing boost of flavour, to all sorts of food, I know there are so many varieties of flavoured salt out there, but this combo is my favourite. I use Himalayan salt, as I love that there are so many beneficial minerals along for the ride, but you could really use any salt that you like.

Ingredients for Rosemary and Lemon Salt 

Slice the ends off the lemon and with a very sharp paring knife, carefully slice off the rind, avoiding the white pith 

1/3 cup good quality salt, picked leaves from 2 sprigs of Rosemary and the rind of 1 lemon 

Put all ingredients into the Thermomix bowl 

Blitz for 10 seconds on speed 7, open the lid and give everything a good mix around 

Then blitz again for 10 seconds on speed 10 

The end result is fine, herby, lemony salt. At this point, I put the bowl of flavoured salt out into the hot sun to dry off, alternatively you can put the bowl in a very low oven, for 30 minutes or until dry and faded in colour 

Rosemary and Lemon Salt ready to use 

I always have Rosemary growing in our little veggie garden, it is such a hardy herb that just keeps soldiering on and I love to use Rosemary with Lamb and Potatoes, hello Sunday Lamb Roast, I'm looking at you. We ask our lovely butcher to de-boned and roll the leg of lamb, it just makes for easier carving. I simply take the rolled leg of lamb out of the mesh sleeve, pat it dry and rub the amazing flavoured salt over both sides of the meat re-roll it back into shape and pop the mesh sleeve back on. I then roast the leg of lamb in my clay pot. Clay pot cooking has been around for centuries and this way of cooking produces a most succulent and tender roast, it is just a wonderful way of roasting meats.

Soak the clay pot for 2 hours prior to cooking 

Take the pot out of the water, but don't dry it. Put in 1 onion, cut in half and 3 whole garlic cloves 

Open up the de-boned leg of lamb and sprinkle over 1 teaspoon of Rosemary and Lemon Salt 

Flip the leg of lamb over and do the same to the outside 

Re-roll the leg and put it back into the mesh bag or tie it with kitchen string. Place leg of lamb in clay pot and place the lid in position

Put the clay pot in a cold oven and then preheat oven to 190 C, start timing lamb from when the oven is up to temperature. I like my lamb well done so that means a cooking time of 30 to 35 minutes per KG. 

Perfectly Roasted and Succulent Lamb. I then make the best "gravy" from the juices off the roast lamb. 

When using a clay pot to roast meat you can't make the gravy in the traditional way, because you simply can't put the clay pot on the stove top and also because there isn't any "burnished bits" on the bottom of the pot. The clay pot steams more than roasts so you don't get those golden bits of goodness stuck to the pan. What I do, is strain every last bit of glorious stock into a jug that separates the stock from the oil. After pouring off the stock, I top the stock up, if needed, to make 2 cups in total. I then make a roux of 40 grams butter and 40 grams plain flour, pour in stock/water and whisk on medium heat until thick. It makes a more "blonde" gravy, but, oh my, it is totally divine. 

A family favourite, Roast Lamb with all the trimmings

So, tell me, how do you cook a roast? Any special seasonings that really add fantastic flavour?

1 comment

  1. I use plain rosemary or basil with lamb but would like to try your lemon salt. Thanks for so many lovely recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top