The Rhythm of my Kitchen

Hello Dear Reader,

In every home, across the world, there are people of all ages, spending time in their kitchens, for various times and reasons. Every single visit to the kitchen, across the world, will be different, as the way we live our lives are simply not the same. All sorts of things impact how we run our kitchens, economics, personal ethics, health reasons and spiritual views. All these things, in turn, influence how and what we eat.

Some like a quick in and out, grabbing a quick cuppa and toast on the run and others, like me, love nothing more than spending time in the heart of their home. I like structure and make a menu every week, others like to make up their mind what they are making for dinner that night, on the way home from work. It is what ever works for you that influences how you run your kitchen.

This is what a typical day looks like in my kitchen.

I usually get into the kitchen by 5am and am always greeted by our cat, Ninja, waiting for her breakfast. As you can see, I don't like to wipe up, so there is usually items on the sink, that don't go into the dishwasher, waiting to be put away. Items like the slow cooker bowl and the food processor bowl
 First job though, is to put the kettle on for tea
Second job-feed Ninja and open the door for her to go outside
Then I make my tea
After I have cleared the sink of hand washed items, I empty the dishwasher and put everything away
If there is any old bread, I cut it up and put it out the front, on the lawn for the birds
I take my lunch out of the fridge and pack it in its bag to take to work
I get out the fruit and yoghurt for our fruit salad bowls for breakfast
And cut up two beaut fruit and yoghurt bowls. Every days fruit bowl is a bit different depending on what fruit is in season
Feed the stag horns the banana skins from breakfast. I also have a covered bowl on the outside table that I put all other fruit scraps into for the worm farm. Once this bowl is full I blitz the fruit and veggie scraps in the food processor and feed it to the worm farm. With all the scraps already broken down it is easier and quicker for the worms to do their job
And I usually put the recycling stuff in a pile on the outside table to take to the recycling bin
I portion out a serve of home made muesli and top with honey, ready to have for breakfast
After breakfast the dishes are put in the dishwasher, and I get ready and leave for work by 7.20 am
Gone at work all day

When I get home I empty my lunch bag, have a quick cuppa and then start on the afternoon jobs
Wash and wipe my lunch containers
And pack my morning tea and lunch for the next day
This particular afternoon, there was a ripe red paw paw ready to be cut up for our breakfast. The fruit scraps go into a bowl ready for blitzing for the worm farm
I also improved some not so wonderful strawberries with a spoonful of icing sugar, these strawberries were used up in our fruit salad bowls for breakfast the next day
I made a loaf of bread to go with dinner that night
And made some Sorrel soup for dinner, I then cleaned up the kitchen, so that there isn't anything to do except put the dishwasher on after we come home from next door
Took dinner next door to have with my Mother in law
Once home again, I took out the meat, for dinner for the next night, to let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Then it's my bedtime



I usually get into the kitchen by 5am and am always greeted by our cat, Ninja, waiting for her breakfast. As you can see, I don't like to wipe up, so there is usually items on the sink, that don't go into the dishwasher, waiting to be put away. Items like the thermos, water bottles and plastic containers

 First job though, is to put the kettle on for tea



And so it goes, this is the rhythm of my kitchen, what does a day in your kitchen look like?



2 comments

  1. Most days a day in my kitchen has a similar rhythm to yours, but I've never thought about it in terms of flow before.
    I love the idea of making lunches the night before, this concept came about recently to me, as I have started working at paid employment more, and I make my, and the kids lunches the night before, because they have to get themselves off to school without me when I'm working. If I'm not working that day I don't do it. But it makes sense to get into the rhythm of doing it everyday, and gets you ahead a little bit, so maybe I should think about adding it to the evening routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a kitchen dweller too, although my day does not start as early as yours! I spent most of last Sunday in the kitchen, making apple butter then a chicken dish for dinner.
    With no kids home anymore, I usually choose what is for dinner as I leave work and go to the supermarket. I buy fruit and veg as we need it and whatever meat we'll eat that night. I have a large selection of recipes bookmarked on my phone so I surf through and find a suitable recipe. Other times, we eat simpler and it might be chops with mash, peas and carrots. Last night I did a little rolled chicken roast and that is lunch today also.
    I must try putting coconut oil in my bread instead of olive oil, that should be nice!
    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top