Laundry Liquid, Take 2

Hello Dear Reader,

I read about this laundry liquid over at Mr Homemaker, and I thought, why not? Sard soap and dish washing liquid can't be that different, can they? I bought the cheapest dish washing liquid I could find, spending one whole dollar for 1 litre for a home brand. I already had the Borax and Washing Soda from previously making laundry liquid. It is a super simple method as there is no grating of a bar of soap and there is also no stirring of laundry liquid ingredients, on the stove top, for what seems like an eternity, waiting for the soap to melt.

So far it has been good, it is very thin and look almost clear but then again it isn't loaded with c@#p either. I still add a scoop of foxy action to white loads or grubby loads (ie. smelly fishing clothes) at the time of doing the load of washing and everything is coming out fresh and clean. I also added 2 tablespoons of Eucalyptus oil, when mixing it up with the hot water, to make the clothes smell fresh. So, I say give it a go, there is literally nothing to lose.

Ingredients for Laundry Liquid, Take 2- 
1/2 cup each of Borax and Washing Soda, 1 cup of own brand dishwashing liquid and 10 litres of really hot tap water
Mix first three ingredients together and then pour this mixture into the 10 litres of really hot water, stir to dissolve
Decant into bottles, that are easy to pour from, and store the rest in a large container
I use 1/2 a cup per load which means I get about 80 loads of washing out of 10 litres of this very "cost effective" home made laundry liquid. Quite frugal, I think!

So, tell me, has any one else tried this "recipe" before, let me know what you think.

4 comments

  1. I'm glad it is working out fine. My fussy family of 5 daughters are happy with this recipe too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm experimenting with the powdered version you mentioned, that involves grating the soap, I'm reserving judgement so far, as I find it hard to believe a mere teaspoon of powder (front loader) will wash my clothes well, I'm using it on sheets/towels/light loads, but haven't used it on regular wash loads yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have experimented thoroughly. Just think about how long it takes to dissolve the powdered version in hot water, then, think about how long it would take to dissolve in a normal wash....particularly in cold water. What do you reckon?

      Delete
    2. Fair point, maybe I should try your liquid version. (But I will have to use up my powdered stuff first, or it will be a waste)

      Delete

Back to Top