Slow Cooker Beef Massaman Curry

Hello Dear Reader,


This is another recipe that I have had floating around in my "torn out, bits of paper" recipe file for years and I thought it was high time I tried it out. I thought I better make it sooner rather than later because any day now, it will be screaming hot and the last thing we will be looking for is a slow cooked curry!

It is super delicious and uses my favourite cut of beef, chuck, it requires long slow cooking and lends itself beautifully to a curry. I picked up the curry paste at a "new to me" Chinese grocery in Morayfield, I ended up having to add some crushed and dried chilli flakes to add some more oomph, as it just wasn't hot enough for our taste buds, but all the other flavours were spot on.

Ingredients for Slow Cooker Massamn Curry, clockwise from top right-
1/4 cup fish sauce, 1 x 400 gram can coconut milk, 1/4 cup Massaman Curry paste, 
1 tablespoon brown sugar, 2 cinnamon quills, 12 cardamon pods, bruised, 2 tablespoon lime juice, 4 Kaffir lime leaves, 2 brown onions, 4 garlic cloves, 1.5 kg chuck steak, 2 carrots 
and 1 kg potatoes
Brown chuck steak in batches
And add to the bowl of a slow cooker
Sauté the onions and garlic
Add the Massaman Curry Paste and sauté until fragrant then add to the browned meat in the slow cooker bowl
Cut up the potatoes and the carrots
Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker bowl
Give it a good stir to combine and cook on low setting for 8 hours
Serve with steamed rice, natural yoghurt, chutney and pappadums

This is a totally delicious and easy curry, full of flavour and the meat just falls apart!

What is a family favourite curry that you make?


2 comments

  1. I can eat a curry no matter what the weather, and that one looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love curries, will give this one a try. Thanks heaps for sharing. Guida

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top