On the third day of Christmas, I made Gingerbread Pancakes


Hello Dear Reader,

Oh my, did I just say two words that would make any foodie's heart sing? Gingerbread-Yum, Pancakes-Yum, get them together and what do you get? Amazingness, of course. These are seriously good, with all the heartwarming aroma and flavour of Gingerbread, in an easy to make and cook pancake. What's not to love? Oh and they are just about the softest pancakes I have ever made, so, so soft!

When I think of Gingerbread, I think of Gingerbread men, The childhood story book of Hansel and Gretel and of course Christmas. You know, the winter wonderland kind of Christmas, with snow and real Christmas trees. Our Christmas in Australia, couldn't be further from that, but whenever I smell Gingerbread cooking, that is image it conjures up for me. I found this recipe over at "The Prudent Homemaker" blog and knew it would be amazing!
Ingredients for Gingerbread Pancakes, clockwise from top right-
3 cup of whey/buttermilk/milk of your choice, 3 tablespoons light flavoured oil, 3 tablespoon sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (forgot to put it in the photo), 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1 tablespoon ground ginger, 120 grams molasses, 3 eggs, 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 teaspoon Bicarb Soda and 4 cups plain flour 
Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to mix and break up any lumps
Add all the wet ingredients to a large jug and mix well
Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and again mix well, making sure all the dry ingredients are incorporated well. Cook in the usual way. I cook these on a slightly lower heat than normal pancakes as the sugars in the molasses can make them "catch"
These are totally delicious, soft and comforting, as only Gingerbread can be.


So, tell me, what foods or smells conjures up your story book idea of Christmas?




No comments

Back to Top