This weeks 5 Frugal Things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

Well, that was another week of living frugally, here at Stay Home Instead. Frugality can mean a lot of different things to different people. To me it means being careful with the money I earn and to make sure nothing is wasted. Everything that comes into my home costs money, and it is up to me to use it wisely. Everything I do, in a normal day, is based on frugality, from my home made muesli I have for breakfast, to riding my bike to work, the packed lunch I enjoy while at work, the tasks I set myself of an afternoon, so I stay on top of everything and the early night I give myself every night. It's a simple and good life that I wouldn't swap for any other lifestyle. The joy I get from living a small, frugal life means so much to me and I wouldn't change it, even if my financial circumstances were to change. 

At this time of year, consumerism goes into overdrive and, as I have mentioned before I stay out of the shops as much as I can. Not only do I not enjoy shopping, I dislike all the "stuff" that comes with this time of year. The Christmas, portrayed by the retail giants, is no longer simple, it is a huge, costly, machine that will suck you in if you are not careful.

 Believe me, I am not the Grinch, and love to celebrate Christmas with my little family, with thoughtful gifts given to everyone. We enjoy an abundant Christmas table that is all home cooked and totally delicious. What we don't do, is go overboard. We don't need a new TV/lounge/table setting/tablecloth/glassware/towels/outfit/lipstick/perfume/sheets/phone/shoes/or what ever, just because it is Christmas, we will happily make do with what we have.

So, this is what I have been up to on the frugal front-

1. Used every last bit of mayo from a couple of bottles to use on home made Coleslaw. We then had this Coleslaw with a plate of salad-y bits and an Omelette on Monday for lunch. Simple, clean out the fridge, kind of lunch.
2. Kept and blitzed the fruit and veggie scraps and fed it to our worm farm. They are hundreds of worms doing their thing in the busy worm farm. Over the Christmas break, one of the jobs will be to harvest the worm casting to add the veggie garden and pots. There is a terrific method for this over at "Our Permaculture Life"


3. Made some delicious 3 ingredient Banana Pancake for morning tea on Monday, using one, really daggy banana. One really daggy banana, never tasted or looked so good!


4. Had a go at making Sauerkraut with 1/2 a red cabbage, left over, from when I made Coleslaw, to 
take away with us camping. It is a simple process, just three ingredients-finely sliced cabbage, salt and time. I will let you know how I go, it takes any where from 3 to 6 weeks (from what I have read) and I am guessing that the hot days we are having at the moment will hurry things along a bit. Hopefully it is safe to attempt Sauerkraut in our hot climate. Does anyone reading know if it is the kind of thing to do in the heat?


5. Watered our figs at the front door, with the warm up water from the showers. They get the full brunt of the sun, all day, so they dry out really quickly. A good bucket of water each, each day keeps them looking lovely.

Your turn, what has been you frugal achievements this week?

1 comment

  1. Not a very frugal week for me I am afraid. My niece was staying with me and my focus was on keeping her occupied and entertained. Some frugal things I did to keep her entertained included, encouraging her to use our treadmill as she is a member of a running group, and she really enjoyed watching my Anne of Green Gables DVD's. This was her introduction to Anne of Green Gables. I had a couple of craft kits that I had bought on special to keep her occupied as well. She baked her first cake with me, it was a packet mix but she needs to start somewhere - I was baking cakes from scratch at her age but she has no real kitchen skills at present. I also gifted her a necklace that my mother gave to me when I was about her age. So that was pretty frugal of me though my intention was that of passing on something that was special to me. I did manage to make up a batch of my soup and sauce mix this week. I use this mix as a cream of chicken soup substitute in recipe's.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top