What we bought, spent and ate this week

Hello Dear Reader,


Well, Christmas is all over for another year, I always feel a little bit of relief when all that hard work, in preparing the home for Christmas, is over. I love Christmas, it's just a lot of work! We always have a traditional roast for Christmas day lunch, with rosemary roast potatoes, roast pumpkin, cauliflower cheese and steamed broccolini. Lovely Hubby does a rolled pork roast in the BBQ and I slowly roast the rolled leg of lamb in a clay pot in the oven. I love this method of cooking meat, the meat is meltingly tender and you end up with the most amazing jus, to make gorgeous homemade gravy with.

We had enough of roast meat, for another whole dinner on Boxing day, I just had to roast some more potato and pumpkin and steam some asparagus to go with it. For dessert, on Christmas day, we had a Christmas pudding that had been gifted to us by a family friend and I made a mango ice-cream cake, that tasted just like a Mango Weiss Bar! Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the Christmas dinner, I guess I was just too busy and completely forgot! I did manage a snap of Christmas morning breakfast, I made Overnight Creme Brûlée French Toast and served it with fruit, whipped cream and maple syrup. Oh my, it was divine.
What we bought
Shopping from Woolworths and Coles
Shopping from ALDI
What we spent
ALDI-$112.70

Woolworths-$85.93

Coles-$10.45

Nothling Quality Meats-$100.00(Lovely Hubby has started a barter system with our butcher) They wanted to give us the meat for free, but hubby insisted on paying them at least some money. For $100 we received a 3 kg rolled leg of Pork, a 2.5 kg rolled leg of lamb and a 3 kg boneless leg of ham. That worked out to be 8.5 kg of meat at $11.76 per kg. 

TOTAL-$309.08, that is a lot of money, but it also fed so many people for so many meals

What we ate
Wednesday-Beef and Mushroom Ragu with Fettucini
Thursday-Take away from China Corner, it is my Mother in laws treat
Friday-Tempura Whiting, steamed basmati rice and Pak Choy
Saturday-Smoked Salmon Fettucini with steamed Asparagus
Sunday-Christmas Day Breakfast-Overnight Creme Brûlée French Toast with fruit and softly whipped cream
Christmas Day Dessert-Mango and Macadamia Ice-cream Cake
The Desert was a hit with everyone
Tuesday-Ham, Potato Bake with steamed Broccolini


And that's a wrap! Over to you, what was on the Christmas week dinner table, at your place?

No comments

Back to Top