Corned Beef Fritters

Hello Dear Reader,


This recipe comes from my darling Mum, who always made these after we had had corned beef for a few meals, to use it up. These are totally delicious and are fantastic for dinner with a salad or as a lunch. I find them best made smallish, but you can make them any size you like. The batter is just a simple Pikelet recipe without the sugar added. It is lovely and light and holds the meat, corn and tomato together beautifully, without being too stodgy. I can remember always looking forward to having these little fritters after we had enjoyed the corned beef. I think, I almost enjoy these more than the actual meal of corned beef!

Ingredients for the fritter mixture, clockwise from top right-
1 cup SR flour, 1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda, 1 egg, 1/2 cup warm milk with 20 grams of butter melted into it and salt and pepper to taste
Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine
In a jug whisk the milk, butter and egg together
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients 
And whisk to combine. There will look like there isn't enough fritter mixture, but there will be, I promise. You only want enough batter to hold everything together 
175 grams each of diced tomato and corn, 200 grams of cubed corned beef, 1/2 a small onion, diced finely and a good handful of parsley, chopped
Add to fritter mixture
And mix to combine. I make mine up the day before to let all the flavours mingle. 

To cook,  heat oil in a heavy based frypan, add large tablespoons of mixture to the hot pan and fry for a few minutes, each side. 

Drain on paper towel 

I served ours with my homemade Tomato Relish


So, over to you, what "leftover" meal do you think is better, that the original meal it was made from?

2 comments

  1. Oh, yum! I love my corned beef fritters with chutney too. My Mum would make these to stretch out her corned beef too. I make them now for my family. I use capsicum instead of tomato though. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look and sound yummy, thanks for the recipe. Guida

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top