Corned Beef in Ginger Beer with Parsley Sauce

Hello Dear Reader,

Corned Beef, I think you either love it or hate it. I am in the "love it" camp and cook it, usually in Summer. I bung it in the slow cooker before I leave for work and in the evening, we are rewarded with salty-sweet, falling apart meat. I serve it with the carrots that are cooked along with it and some steamed whole potatoes and green beans or just a salad, depending on how hot the weather is. I have used this recipe for ages now and I originally saw the recipe one of the first lifestyle show "Healthy, Wealthy and Wise" a life time ago. The addition of the ginger beer and golden syrup make for a lovely sweet broth for the beef to cook in and counterbalances the saltiness, beautifully. I then make a gorgeous sauce out of some of the broth to serve with the corned beef. A lovely little recipe that is just a bit different.

Ingredients for Corned Beef in Ginger Beer, clockwise from top right-
up to 2 kg piece of Corned Beef, 2 large onions, 5 large carrots, 8 cloves, 1 x 750 ml bottle Ginger Beer, 2 tablespoon golden syrup
Peel onions and pierce each one with 4 cloves, peel and cut carrots into large chunks
Rinse beef and place in the bottom the slow cooker bowl, top with ginger beer, golden syrup, carrots and onions. Cook on low for up to 10 hours. Remove beef and cover with foil until ready to serve. The carrots can stay in the broth to keep warm, until serving time
For the Parsley Sauce, clockwise from top right-
1 cup cooking broth, a large handful of parsley, 30 grams butter, 30 grams plain flour and 1 cup milk (I don't keep milk in the house and always use powdered, just making it up as I need  it)
Make a roux with the butter and flour and let it cook out for a minute on medium low, then whisk in the warm milk and warm broth, continue whisking until thickened, then add in the chopped parsley. Add salt and pepper as needed
Serve sauce over corned beef slices

Do you remember the show "Healthy, Wealthy and Wise"? I remember not missing a show, it was always full of great information. 

6 comments

  1. I DO remember that show, and loved it too!
    What a blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Fiona! I could dive right in to that! I'm afraid I'm the only one at home who likes corned beef.
    I do mine with water, brown sugar, slosh of vinegar, bay leaf and teaspoon of peppercorns in the slow cooker. Yours with the ginger berr and syrup sounds great. I'll try your recipe next time my daughter is home, she likes it too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love corned beef here and I will try this one out. Thank you, Guida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually cook corned beef in the Winter, Fiona. It's not my favourite thing to cook but I like that it can be used for sandwiches and fritters too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love corned beef and mustard pickles sandwiches as a kid. I haven't cooked it for years so I should give it a go. I don't own a slow cooker and I don't like a lit if gadgets but have been thinking about getting one. Can you recommend the one you have?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my Sunbeam slow cooker, it has a great feature on it, when it finishes cooking it automatically switches to "keep warm" for up to 5 hours. I am so impressed with it, I bought one for my daughter and my niece. Love it

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top