Easy Passionfruit Tart

Hello Dear Reader,


Once a month, at work, we have a combined morning tea where all the Doctors, Nurses, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Pathologists, Social Workers, Admin Officers and Allied Health Assistants (my job title) come together to celebrate birthdays, new staff members or staff members leaving. I try to make something new every time and we always have a fantastic smorgasbord of food that would feed an army. We are a great team and going to work is a joy (most days) Sharing great food with lovely people is a bonus and something we all look forward to.

This month, I wanted to use some of the passionfruit pulp I had frozen in my freezer and, yet again, the recipe was from a torn out page from the weekend magazine you get free with the Sunday Mail. The magazine is called "Stellar" and I just love it. They cover a broad range of subjects and the two journalists writing I look forward to reading most are Rory Gibson and Francis Whiting who always make be either laugh out loud or cry buckets. In the food department there is always a recipe by Donna Hay (however in the fine print the recipes and styling are always by other people, weird!) This recipe is from a Hayley Dodd, so thanks Hayley for a fantastic recipe that everyone loved.

One word of warning though, do not attempt this pastry in hot or humid weather, which is exactly what we have going on at the moment. I had the air conditioning on as I knew with the amount of butter that is in the pastry would be very hard to handle. Do wait until the pastry is super cold to start rolling it out, other wise there will be tears in the kitchen. Work quickly, using a light hand or again, there maybe tears. I had to re-roll the pastry twice with a lengthy spell for the pastry in the freezer to make it less fall apart-y. But in the end, it was divine.

For the Pastry

Ingredients for sweet short pastry, clockwise from top right-
225 grams plain flour, 1 tablespoon iced water, 1 egg yolk, 125 grams cold butter, 80 grams icing sugar
To the bowl of the Thermomix (or any food processor) add the flour, icing sugar and butter 
And blitz for 10 seconds, scrap down and blitz again for 10 seconds
Adding a drop at a time, add in the iced water until it is just coming together, it should look lumpy and a bit dry. You will not need all of the water
Pat into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap, put into the fridge for 1 hour to rest and get really cold
For the Filling
Ingredients for filling, clockwise from top right
2 tablespoon lemon or lime juice, 3 egg yolks + 2 whole eggs, 1/2 cup castor sugar, 1 cup cream and 1/2 cup passionfruit pulp
Add all ingredients to a bowl
And whisk well
Put a sieve over a large bowl 
Pour filling into the sieve
Reserving the seeds
Now return seeds to filling mixture

To Assemble
Once rested and cold, roll pastry out to about 4mm thick
Line a 25 cm, greased, loose bottomed tart tin with pastry
Trim and prick the pastry with a fork
Line pastry with baking paper and fill with blind baking beans
Bake in a 180 C oven for 15 minutes, remove paper and blind baking beans and bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Turn oven down to 140 C. Pour filling into ready tart shell and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until just set
Divine short crust pastry with a tangy, gorgeous, custard-y filling. Summer on a plate

Do you have a secret to making and baking hard to handle short crust pastry?

3 comments

  1. I am new to your blog and know I'm just going to have a wonderful time following it. I have read your interests and I wish you lived next door! I also follow Rhonda at Down to Earth, Morag at Our Permaculture Life, and I just love Mr and Mrs Frugalwoods - and the hound and babyhoods. I live in Brisbane, grow my own veggies at my little allotment, pickle just about anything, cook everything from scratch, and love the simple life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona, I think ( hope) I hold the secret to good pastry, after years of trial and error!

    I make my pastry, the same as you, but I don't really rest it before I roll it out and line my tin (unless it is a super hot/humid day, and it won't hold together, then I will chill it for 20mins or so to make it easier to handle). AFTER I line my tin I rest it the the fridge for as long as I can, even as early as the day before, mostly I will make the pastry in the morning, and chill it until that evening. Keep it covered in the fridge so it doesn't dry out. Then proceed with the blind baking. I have found this drastically minimises the shrinkage factor.

    Oh, and another trick I've learnt is to preheat an oven tray and place your pastry lined tin on it when blind baking the pastry, it really helps to crisp up the bottom of your pastry.

    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, thanks for all the tips, I am about to try another one today, for a spinach and ricotta pie. It's still early and a lot cooler than the other day, so it should be better conditions. Have a splendid Sunday.
      Fi

      Delete

Back to Top