My Plastic Replacement for January

Hello Dear Reader,

I have two plastic replacements for this month. The first one is wash up cloths, which I have been using for about 6 weeks now. These lovely little cloths came from my monthly subscription to Mighty Nest and are really great to use. They come in a set of five, so you can change them frequently. When they need a wash, I give them a good soak in 1 cup Bicarb and 2 cups plain white vinegar mixed into half a bucket of hot water. After this, they are washed on a really long hot cycle in the washing machine with other tea towels and cleaning cloths that have also had a good soak. They are all line dried in our scorching sun so I feel confident that any bacteria that may have been lurking is well and truly gone.

Up until these little cloths came into my life, I had been using ordinary wash up sponges or chux type cloths, but I am now converted. I kinda knew that sponges weren't the best choice for washing up but after reading this, I will never use them again. The brand of these wash cloths is called Full Circle and I can't recommend them enough.


I had bought some cotton to learn how to knit wash cloths and I have a little youtube clip that I watch occasionally to try and give me the motivation to give it a go. I did learn to knit a long time ago (very basic stuff) from lovely hubby's Nanna, but I didn't keep it up so I really don't feel that confidant about it. That is just another skill to learn, one day!

The other plastic replacement for this month is toilet paper. Now I know that there is no plastic in loo paper but it is wrapped in plastic. I first heard about this brand of loo paper from Morag over at "Our Permaculture Life and Clare from "The Life of Clare". The brand is "Who Gives a Crap", quite the name, isn't? So it turns out "Who Gives a Crap"  is the brain child of some lovely young men who got together to try and solve the problem of the 2.5 billion people across the world who don't have access to a toilet! That figure is just unbelievable! Did you know that?


So when you purchase any paper product from "Who Give a Crap" 50% of their profits go to WaterAid who then build toilets and improve sanitation in the developing world. I think it is pretty awesome. And as the loo rolls are wrapped in paper, it means one less piece of plastic that is coming into my home on a weekly basis, Sweet!


Using less plastic, in your home takes practice, anything worth while does. For me, I am taking baby steps to reduce my reliance on single use plastics in my life. So far I have converted to using Bees Wrap instead of plastic wrap, I now use Bamboo toothbrushes and home made toothpaste, I use skincare and shampoo that is not in a plastic bottles and I have gone back to using a bar of soap in the shower instead of body wash. All little steps that have reduced my use of single use plastics. Yes, they are really small steps, but I feel its better than doing nothing.

What's your method of reducing single use plastics at home?

1 comment

  1. Good on you, Fiona!! We've been using both these products for a good while here and I would highly recommend them both. I love that I can buy this toilet paper in bulk for $1 per double-length roll. It's recycled, it's not thin or scratchy and there's not a piece of plastic in sight! Our Full Circle cloths, which I bought before I began knitting washcloths, have been used over and over and over again.

    I think baby steps are important, just imagine if everyone took your baby steps. There'd be a lot less plastic! At our place, we've gradually made many changes. I used my last remaining bit of plastic lunchwrap film up and have been using beeswax wraps ever since. I also have reusable sandwich containers and food pockets that work really well! I have been washing and reusing the same few clip-lock bags I have over and over again too. I take cloth and hessian shopping bags to do the groceries and I avoid buying fruit and vegetables wrapped in plastics. I use a little set of cloth/mesh drawstring bags when I buy fruit/veg and when buying nuts, pasta etc. from bulk bins. My next step is to make a set of cloth bread bags and to make our own yoghurt here which would mean no more plastic yoghurt containers. One step at a time! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top