Hello Dear Reader,
As I have mentioned we are going through quite the heat wave at the moment and because of this we have had the air-conditioning going from about 8am to 8 pm. We have solar panels and we usually get a rebate but I fear we won't this time. I know the layout of our home makes it hard to keep cool. It is open plan with lots of windows which cop the full brunt of the sun as we have no eaves. So thank goodness for the air-con, I must be getting old as once upon a time I would rarely use it, just putting up with the heat to save money.
As I mentioned in the "What we bought, spent and ate" post I have been avoiding cooking anything that would require me to stand at the stove for any length of time and I have continued that theme this week with the slow cooker being plugged in yesterday for a slow cooked Beef Strog and today lovely hubby is going to put a Chicken in to roast in the BBQ. Bring on some cool weather, I say!!
To counterbalance, what will be, a high electricity bill this quarter, I have been trying to be really frugal, by not going out, apart from work, not spending money, apart from necessities, planning my day to get the most out of it and not wasting a thing. I also have been going to bed very early and rising a bit earlier as well to try and get more done in the cool of the morning. So here is what I have been up to on the frugal front.
1. Used up the rest of the Christmas pudding by crumbling it and mixing it through some nice vanilla ice-cream, oh my it is delicious. I am not a huge fan of Christmas put, but this makes it a thousand times better.
2. Made a spectacular passionfruit tart from ingredients already at home, little outlay for a beautiful tart. I had frozen passionfruit pulp when I had an abundance of fruit.
3. Made a bag for myself from left over material. My bag I made myself last May, was looking a bit tired so I made another one using the same pattern. This time though, instead of squares I sewed together strips and then sewed them into rows, I love the muted tones.
3a. I am also going to make a slim line lunch "sack" out of the same leftover material. As there are so many people at work and only one fridge we aren't allowed to put our insulated lunch bags in the fridge. And because my commute is so short, I really don't need my lunch bag to be insulated, I would much rather have a lunch bag made from material than of plastic.
4. Bought back to life some bend-y broccolini, by giving it an iced bath. Ten minutes soaking equaled fresher, non-bend-y veg.
5. I have a couple of experiments going in the horticulture department at the moment. Below are avocado seeds that I have spiked with toothpicks so they are immersed in water. Apparently they will start to sprout and then you plant them out. Really just a bit of free fun
5a. These are seeds that I am drying, from the Magnolia trees at work, again just a bit of fun, but wouldn't it be a hoot if I grew my own Magnolia Trees!
So, tell me, what have you been up to on the frugal front?