Home made Paneer Cheese

Hello Dear Reader,


I found a wonderful recipe for a Mushroom Curry and, as with many traditional vegetarian Indian curries, it had Paneer cheese in it. Paneer cheese is very simple to make, with just a few ingredients, a pot, a strainer and some cheesecloth (read, clean chux cloth)

Ingredients for Paneer Cheese-2 litres milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice or white vinegar

Bring the milk to a gently simmer, stirring occasionally so it doesn't scorch. You don't want it to boil, just until it looks foamy and steamy

Remove pot from heat and stir in lemon juice, the milk should begin to curdle straight away. Let the curdled milk stand for 10 minutes

You will end up with curds and whey

Line a strainer with 2 sheets of clean chux that have been rinsed with water and rung out. Set strainer over a large bowl and pour curds and whey into the prepared strainer.

Gather the cheesecloth (chux) up and gently squeeze with you hands to remove excess whey

Unfold cheesecloth

And sprinkle in salt

Gently mix in salt

Form cheesecloth back into a ball and again, squeeze very gently

Unfold cheesecloth and form curds into a squarish block

Wrap curds into cheesecloth again and set onto a dinner plate

Set another dinner plate on top

And weigh down with the bowl of whey. Let it sit like this for up to one hour, then refrigerate. As this is a fresh cheese it won't keep for long, I made mine the day before I needed it for the Mushroom Curry. If you can't get through all the paneer in a timely fashion, apparently you can freeze it.

Paneer is a soft, mild cheese that holds its shape and soaks up flavour, whats not to love?

Are you wondering what I did with the whey?

I drank it with lots of ice! It reminds me of the flavour of plain yogurt, slightly sour, it is very thirst quenching and it tastes creamy, oh, and no waste! Love it. 

2 comments

  1. I've made a simple cheese with yoghurt in the past, i'll try this recipe. Looks so easy,
    I am a member of Beelarong Community Farm at Morningside in Brisbane and I wonder if you have visited one of our workshops. Your face looks familiar. Either way, I am really enjoying reading your blog. I'm retired now and make use of my extra time at home making preserves, I'm baking a loaf of bread today. I too enjoy my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Fiona, does look so easy. Good on you for trying new things all the time! You'll never get bored!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top