Honey Mustard Chicken

Hello Dear Reader,

If there was a match made in heaven, it is honey and mustard, they just go together so well. This little recipe has been swirling around my brain for a while now and I just had to give it a go. I make a creamy garlic and mustard sauce to go over BBQ steak or prawns which is just fantastic, I tweaked that sauce, to go over chicken. I wanted to make it a bit lighter so I added milk, reduced the amount of cream and then thickened the sauce at the end with cornflour and water. It makes a gorgeous creamy sauce with the right balance of mustard and honey. After the sauce is made I let the chicken thighs cook away until lovely and tender.

It makes the perfect weeknight meal as it is really quick (I got it on the table in 45 minutes) and I served it with creamy mashed potatoes to mop up the really delicious sauce but it would go equally well with steamed rice, quinoa or pasta, your choice. Throw in a steamed green and you have a complete meal. I marinated the chicken in the morning and popped it in the fridge until needed that night.

Ingredients for Honey Mustard Chicken, clockwise from top right-
200 ml cream, 1 cup milk (not pictured) 1 kg chicken thigh fillets, each fillet cut down into 3 smaller pieces, 3 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane, 2 tablespoon seeded mustard, 1/3 cup honey and 1 teaspoon of cornflour mixed with 1 tablespoon water to thicken sauce (not pictured)

In a large shallow dish, mix together the chicken, honey, mustard and garlic and marinade for as long as time allows

Heat a non stick, heavy based frypan to medium hot and sauté chicken turning every 5 minutes until well sealed and golden brown. It may scorch a little because of the honey but thats okay, it means more flavour

When finished sautéing chicken, pour over remaining marinade and let reduce for 5 minutes

Pour over cream and milk and mix well to coat chicken

Once it has come to a gentle boil, turn heat down and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked through and tender

Remove chicken to a plate and bring this gorgeous sauce to a simmer, stir in cornflour and water mixture and let bubble and thicken for a minute or two, return chicken to the pan and serve

I served ours with plenty of fluffy mashed potato to mop up the amazing honey mustard sauce. Quick and delicious!

Over to you, what is your go to, quick chicken dish?

4 comments

  1. That ticks my boxes...quick...cheap...from scratch...and child friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona, I just wanted to check in and say that I made this Honey Mustard Chicken last night, and it was DELICIOUS!
    The family loved it!
    The only thing I did was added some salt to taste, and a couple of teaspoons of Sriracha sauce to give it a mild spicy lift.
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic Cheryl, I am so glad you liked it and equally glad you added your own twist to suit your family's taste. Have a lovely day. Fi

      Delete

Back to Top