One Pan, Cheesy Chicken and Veggie Dinner

Hello Dear Reader,

I found this recipe over at Mels Kitchen Cafe and knew it would be a corker! I love a one pan/pot dish that is tasty, easy and full of goodness. As usual, I tinkered with the recipe to reflect the ingredients I had to use up at home. I used a head of broccoli instead of kale as we really are not fans of kale in our home, I know it's very, very good for you but I just don't like it (Yet) I had one sweet potato left over from making these, and a tonne of cheese in the freezer, all I had to buy was the chicken thighs and a red capsicum, so this dish came together very fast, indeed.

I steamed the broccoli separately and popped it into some iced water to stop it from cooking further, this cut down the cooking time and the broccoli stays lovely and bright green. So technically it is a two pan/pot meal but I think it's worth the extra bother.

Ingredients for One Pan, Cheesy Chicken and Veggie Dinner. clockwise from top right-
1 cup grated cheese of your choice, 1 red capsicum, diced, 1 orange sweet potato, weighing about 650 grams, diced, 2 onions, diced, 2 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane, 1 head broccoli, 1/2 cup chicken stock (I use massel stock cubes) 1 kg chicken thigh fillets, cubed into smallish pieces, salt and pepper to taste and 1 tablespoon of oil of choice (I use rice bran oil for everything)

Dice sweet potato and cut broccoli into small flowerettes. Steam the broccoli for 2 to 3 minutes and refresh in iced water, set aside until needed

Dice capsicum and onion and grate garlic on a microplane

Dice chicken into smallish pieces

Heat a heavy based fry pan to medium hot, heat oil until really hot, add chicken and and cook through on one side

Flip chicken over and cook through on the other side, there will probably be some liquid come out of the chicken, but thats okay. Remove chicken and reserve the liquid in the pan

To the hot liquid/oil in the pan, add the capsicum, onion and garlic, sauté until veggies are starting to soften

Now add the diced sweet potato and stir through, add the chicken stock and pop a lid on and cook on medium low until potatoes are soft. This took me about 10 to 15 minutes, check the moisture level occasionally and add a small amount of water if it look dry

Now add the cooked chicken and stir through

Add the steamed broccoli

And gently stir through

Sprinkle over grated cheese

And grill until golden brown and bubbly

A complete and delicious dinner. 

So, tell me, what is your go to, one pan/pot meal?

3 comments

  1. This looks easy and healthy indeed! I will put this on my "to try" list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "one pan" anything, Fiona. Thanks for recipe. I'll be making it too as it looks healthy and delicious. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a splendid dish. The best dishes are often the most straight forward I think.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top