Soft and Light Pancakes

Hello Dear Reader,


I had half a container of light sour cream left over from our camping holiday and really felt like pancakes for a light lunch yesterday. So I came up with this beaut little recipe. I liked the sound of this one, I didn't, however, want to use so many eggs. I had read about using chia seeds as a substitution to eggs, so that is exactly what I did.

These pancakes are light as air, super easy to make and taste, just lovely. I made this pancake mixture in my Thermomix as well as grinding the chia seeds, you can, of course just use a spice or coffee grinder to grind the chia seeds and then just use a whisk to combine all the ingredients, it will still turn out the same. In fact it will probably be lighter, as most pancake batters dislike being over mixed.

Ingredients for Soft and Light Pancakes, clockwise from top right-
1 tablespoon chia seeds + 3 tablespoons water, 3/4 cup light sour cream, 3/4 cup milk, 1 egg, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda, 1 tablespoon raw sugar, 1 1/2 cups plain flour, plus...

60 grams of butter, melted

Grind the chia seeds on speed 5 for 20 seconds

Add 3 tablespoons water

And blitz for 10 seconds on speed 8. Let this mixture sit for about 5 to 10 minutes to thicken up into a gel

Now add the sour cream, melted butter, milk and egg and blitz for 10 seconds on speed 5

Now add the flour, baking powder, bicarb soda and sugar, blitz again for 10 seconds on speed 5, scrape down and blitz again for 10 seconds speed 5

The pancake mixture is quite thick but airy at the same time

Cook in the usual way, that is, flip when bubbles start to appear on the surface. I used a heavy based frypan and cooked the pancakes on medium heat 

I served ours with berries, butter and maple syrup


I love to use up ingredients that may have, otherwise, gone to waste, like the 3/4 cup of sour cream, that is in this recipe. I like to know what's in my fridge and use it up in a timely manner. How do you prevent food waste in your home?

No comments

Back to Top