What we bought, spent and ate this week

Hello Dear Reader,

I am going to sound like a broken record, but, oh my goodness, it is so hot, I am so sick and tired of this unrelenting heat! I know we are always a few degrees cooler, being near the water, but I am so over it. Can't wait for a cool change or some rain, rain would be marvellous, I can't remember the last time it rained! My poor garden is being kept alive (just) with tank water, and I am using that sparingly as we have already drained one tank dry. Our poor farmers! Heat + no rain is not a good combination. Are you experiencing weird whether where you are? it's all a bit extreme, isn't?

As I have mentioned, we have had the air conditioning going, while we at home and I know we are going to have a bill this time (we have solar and usually get a small rebate) but there is no way of getting around this heat, I can usually cope with a few hot days on the run, but this business of weeks on end of heat is driving me a bit batty! Bring on Autumn, I say, only one more month!

I have had a go at another, new to me, vegetarian recipe this week, it's another of Jamie Oliver's. It is an Indian spiced, sweet potato pancake. We all loved it and will definitely make it again. In this kind of heat I am not looking for anything heavy, the food we prepare and eat needs to be simple, light and tasty. Here is what else we have been up to on the food front.

What we bought
Shopping from ALDI, Coles and Woolworths 

What we spent
ALDI-$100.20
Woolworths-61.95
Coles-$10.00 + $10 spent, later in the week, for 5 x Cocoquench (it was on special) + $8.36 for organic milk and muesli bars (on special for $2 a box, they are great for camping)
Nothlings Quality Meats-$29.73

TOTAL-$220.24-I can't seem to get under the $200 mark at the moment, can I?
It works out to be $7.86 per person (4) per day, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I would like it to be less expensive, but I also like eating really fresh fruit and veggies and a little meat. 

What we ate


Wednesday-Pan fried snapper with a salad of Spinach, roast pumpkin and toasted walnuts with a garlicy lemon dressing


Thursday-Indian spiced sweet potato pancakes


I served them with chutney and minted yoghurt



Friday-Marinated lamb chops with a big tossed salad. I marinated the lamb chops in lemon rind, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic and honey.



Saturday-Honey prawns with steamed basmati rice and choy sum


Sunday-Slow cooked Sesame Beef-recipe coming soon


I served it with steamed Basmati rice, an omelette and Choy Sum


Monday-Steamed Maori Cod with steamed Basmati rice and broccolini



Tuesday-Spinach and Feta Savoury Rolls with a big tossed salad



This is my fridge this morning, I love that the crisper draw is just about empty, there is 1/2 a lettuce, 1/2 a lemon, a small knob of peeled ginger (in the small container) and 2 little red paw paws from my trees. On the bottom shelf there is some leftovers that will be eaten today, a bowl of spinach and feta savoury rolls and a bowl of steamed fish. You can see our fruit and yoghurt ready to be eaten for breakfast and that is my lunch to the right ready to be packed in my lunch bag to take to work.


And my freezer draws are organised after being cleaned out over the weekend, I found 2 x 1 litre organic milk marked down yesterday afternoon ready to make yoghurt. 




So, that is an update of what we bought, spent and ate at our place. How much do you spend per week on groceries? What does it equate to per person, per day?


3 comments

  1. We're about the same as you. $350 on average per week for 7 people works out at $7.14 per day per person. That includes a comprehensive shop for not only groceries but household products etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you about this heat, Fi. We've just been discussing the weekend forecast of 37/38C. Oh my gosh! I'm soooo over it:( My grocery bill varies a lot from week to week though I always think it's too much! I find it depends a lot on whether I need to buy a lot of meat or not. I'm trying to expand my range of vegetarian meals too because I think that saves money. Tomorrow night, I'm making a spinach and cheese "pie" using cottage cheese and I make a quiche, mini quiches or zucchini slice once a week. Stay cool...if it's possible! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We spend about 100€ per week (about 140 AUS$). 75€ at the Hypermarket and 25€ on fruit & veg. We have my daughter and her husband with us for 4 days every fortnight so this works out about 9€ (12.8 AUS$)per person per day. This looks like a lot:( - I will have to check how much is actually food!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top