This Weeks 5 Frugal Things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

How's your week been? Did it go by in a flash or amble along at a steady pace? Mine, as usual, went by in a flash and here we are, another Friday. I have been struggling with my energy again, and it takes all my time just to get the bare necessities done before I fall into bed. 

I have been trying a few, new to me, recipes this week, both meat free and even though they were both simple meals they took a lot longer to prepare as they were new and I needed to really pay attention to the recipes. Last night dinner seemed to take an eternity to come together, only because I was tired and my brain went on strike! We did eventually eat a really delicious dinner, not too much later than we normally would, I try to aim for a 6.45pm to 7.00pm dinner so I can get into bed early. Oh, it's all about bed time!

Amongst the brain fog this is what I was able to achieve in the frugal department.

1. Cleaned labels off gifted jars, I love to collect and re-use glass jars of all shapes and size. I soak the jars in hot soapy water overnight , then just use a sharp knife to scrape the label off. If there is any residue left I hit it with eucalyptus oil, then both the lids and the jars go into the dishwasher for a thorough clean


I am pretty sure I have enough for the time being, don't you think?


2. Picked some silverbeet from the veggie pod. This silverbeet was used in a pumpkin, feta and silverbeet filo pie. This was one of those new to me, meat free recipes I tried this week. It was really delicious. 


3. I used one daggy, left behind, banana to make these lovely Banana Cake Pancakes


4. Used left over roast lamb for this homemade lamb souvlaki pizza. We had a lamb roast a few Sundays ago, there was plenty of meat left over so I froze it down.


5. Packed my lunch every day to take to work, I know I include this one often, but it really is a great starting point if you want and need to save money. I always bring my tea, either tea bags or loose tea as well, as even a bought cup of tea or coffee everyday, adds up over a week. This is yesterdays lunch, leftover Pumpkin, feta and spinach pie, a white nectarine, a cashew and date bliss ball, my piece of dark chocolate and a beautiful cup of peppermint tea, bliss. We sit outside in the sunshine everyday to recharge, it's a lovely place to eat lunch. 


So, thats what I have been up to on the frugal front, how's your week been?

4 comments

  1. I did some relief teaching this week, Fi, so things were a little crazy. Thank goodness for freezer meals and a well stocked pantry! That silverbeet pie sounds divine...might have to make one myself! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, I am going to make another one of those pie's as my Daughter and her partner are coming home for a few days and it will be ideal for lunch. I will post the recipe soon. Have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete
  2. Hi Fiona, Hope you can rest up over the weekend and recharge. Its been very hectic for me the last few weeks too. I made your Slow Cooker Corned Beef in Ginger Beer the other night and it was delicious! My husband especially loved it, giving it an 11 out of 10!! Do you bother turning your corned beef over, part way through cooking time? And does yours normally get fully immersed in the liquid? I turned mine, and as it didn't fully sit under the liquid I'm wondering if I caused it to dry out a bit.. either way it was still delicious with the parsley sauce, but I may try not turning it next time & see if it makes any difference. Like Meg, I love the sound of your silverbeet, pumpkin & feta pie... yummo!! Take care and hope you feel better next week, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, Thanks for the well wishes, I have a big weekend ahead, so no resting for me, but I'll bounce back, I always do.
      I can't recall turning the piece of corned beef, and I can't recall it being dry either. I remember the piece of corned beef having rather a thick layer of fat on it, maybe that prevented it from drying out. You can always cut the piece of meat so that it totally submerged in the brine and just cut down the cooking time a bit if you are worried about it being dry. That parsley sauce is a wonderful, isn't it? Have a wonderful weekend.
      Fi

      Delete

Back to Top