This Weeks 5 Frugal things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

I had another spectacular flop last Saturday, I was trying a, new to me, recipe for Banana-Macadamia Nut pancakes and the mixture was just wrong. The consistency of the mixture ended up being so thin and there was no way they were going to set. I kept persevering, re-reading the recipe to make sure I had it right, well what can I say, the recipe was just plain wrong. When I poured a spoon full into the hot pan it just spread out to all corners of the pan and would not set, it was totally weird, well I wasn't going to waste all those good ingredients, so I bunged the mixture into a buttered dish and baked it. The result was a delicious cake-y/pancake-y thing-y that we devoured with butter and maple syrup still hot from the oven.  But for me, the most important thing was, there was no waste.

I know baking with different flours can be challenging but I really believe the recipe was wrong, it called for 2 cups of milk to 1/2 cup of macadamia meal and 1 cup of oat flour (made in the thermomix ) I think it would have worked with maybe 1 cup of milk, I really should I listened to my inner voice when it said "wow, that's a lot of milk" Anyway all well that ends well and it's just another example of how I live frugally, not wasting a thing.

So I am going to make this, flop turned fab, my first frugal thing this week.

1. Saved a recipe that was wrong and made Banana-Macadamia nut cake-y pancake-y thing-y

2. Rode my bike to work everyday, the days are getting cooler and it is an absolute delight to ride to and from work. It is only a short distance but any exercise is good, right?

3. Made another batch of laundry liquid, I will share the "recipe" soon

4. These are the avocado seeds I started sprouting a while ago, the one on the right has really started to reach for the sky and it has proper little leaves on it now. The one on the left is still struggling but I will wait a little longer to see if it rallies. There is a tiny sprout on it, about 3 cm tall, but it seems to have stopped growing. Anyway it's just a bit of free fun

5. I made a "new to me" recipe for a toilet cleaner. I will share the recipe and method soon

So, that's what I have been up to, this week, in my frugal home. Over to you what were your frugal achievements this week?

4 comments

  1. I love that you didn't waste the batter; great save!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a lot of frugal happening here but I am enjoying your oat and chia puddings for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I baked some Anzac biscuits, some cheese and bacon scrolls and a fruit and nut loaf this week for school and work snacks. I was feeling rather "nerdy" and calculated the cost of the biscuits homemade verses shop bought, my Anzac biscuits cost 6 cents each, while the shop bought were 20cents each! Definitely proves how much money can be saved by cooking from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did more relief work this week so was glad to have food in the fridge and pantry and freezer to make meals and snacks and lunches with. I made a delicious lemon crumble slice with condensed milk from my stockpile (not an ingredient I use often). It was quite sweet so small slices lasted almost all week! Have lovely weekend, Fiona. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top