Any left over Hot Cross Buns?

Hello Dear Reader,

I love traditional, Hot Cross Buns and usually limit myself to having, just a few, over the actual Easter holiday, but this year I started earlier than usual, like, about a month ago. One of the big supermarkets is literally a stones throw from us and while there one afternoon picking something else up, I spied a new variety of Hot Cross Bun I hadn't tried before. Double Chocolate, Hot Cross Buns. I must have been hungry because a pack of these found their way into my basket. I have to say, they were just delicious, not too sweet, soft and chocolatey, just as you would expect them to be.

And then, the free monthly magazine came out from this supermarket and what should be on the front cover? A recipe for Raspberry and Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding, using these little chocolate hot cross buns. Well, the decision was made then and there, this is what I would be baking for our Easter dessert!

It was amazing dessert, everyone loved it and it was super easy to make and bake. So if you are in the fortunate position where you have a few Hot Cross Buns left over (any variety) I would encourage you to whip up this super yummy dessert!


Simply halve 5 or 6 hot cross buns (any variety) spread them with butter and jam (I used strawberry, as that's what I had in the house) put them in a 2 litre casserole dish, alternating between cross side up and cut side up, sprinkle over 100 grams of chocolate buttons/nibs (I used a combination of white and dark chocolate) and a cup of fresh or frozen raspberries (I used frozen) For the custard mixture-in a big jug, whisk up 1 cup of milk, 6 eggs and 1/2 a cup each of sugar and cream. Pour this custard mixture over the hot cross buns and let sit for about 15 minutes to absorb. Then bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the custard is set, in a 160C oven 


Well, it didn't look as lovely as the picture in the magazine, but boy, it was delicious. I served it with plain vanilla ice-cream. YUM!

What did you make for your Easter Dessert?

2 comments

  1. Wow, now that is a dessert. We only have 3 of my own homemade hot cross buns which I'll pop in the oven tonight for everyone with butter.

    I'm glad you found this recipe for your chocolate buns. Like it was meant to be. It looks very, very delicious.

    I made Nigella's Madeira Cake which was dessert Easter Sunday because we were also celebrating Dad's Birthday and Madeira is his favourite. The kids also have enough chocolate now to last quite a while. May take a little baking rest. Bet that doesn't last long though, I can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! Those have to be 100 calories a bite. (Or, maybe those are the 'no calorie' variety)
    We had apple/raspberry crisp for our dessert; quite yummy. Chocolate is always better, though!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top