Whats Growing In Our Garden In April

Hello Dear Reader,

As I mentioned yesterday, we finally got some long awaited rain this past week, thanks to ex-tropical cyclone Debbie. Thankfully we didn't receive any damage from the gale force winds, but we did get an exceptional amount of rain. I went for a wander around my little garden yesterday afternoon and this is how it is looking.

This is the ginger I planted from ginger "eyes" I think it may be a bit too wet as there are some stalks going brown

These are the only two pomegranates that look like they will be okay, the other ones on the tree have yellowed and blackened in some parts of the fruit. This tree cost me nothing, it was an off cast from my son, when he was into doing bonsai. 

I have basil seedlings coming up from saved seeds I planted, the oregano and sage are going well but the rocket is struggling and I had to toss the sorrel as it turned up its toes

The rogue passionfruit has so many flowers on it, we will have another bumper season. Along the front is a pineapple plant, some spring onions grown from bought seedlings and a couple of chilli seedlings that are coming along nicely. My parsley is virtually non-existent and I will have to buy another established plant, I seem to have no luck growing parsley from seed. I have to move the poor lemon tree it has been swallowed up by the rampant passionfruit vine. I have to wait for lovely hubby though, as when I did go to move it I discovered a wasps nest. 

A passionfruit flower unfolding

Fully open

A new little baby passionfruit forming

Another couple of pineapple plants. I love these plants as they are free and hardy. I simply "screw in" the pineapple top. This was a double topped pineapple so I just kept them together and planted them just as they were. They take a little while to establish but once they get going they make quite an attractive plant and you eventually get a free pineapple. What's not to love

That free Agave plant that someone had thrown out a while ago and, you guessed it, another pineapple plant. I have started to let the little dogs from next door into our yard (Ninja our cat is inside sleeping during the day) This is Lulu the Mummy Jack Russell. She is a black and white wire hair

This is my collection of succulents, and a, now huge, Bonsai Fig tree, I will have to cut it back, it has grown through the wire racks of the stand

My Pineapple patch 

Another red Paw Paw tree that has self seeded. I pot these on and give them to friends

Our Kaffir lime tree and another two pineapples. There is a huge pumpkin vine that has self seeded in the veggie patch. There has been heaps of flowers and baby pumpkins started but every single one rots off before it can get established, talk about frustrating!

Our one remaining Red Paw Paw tree, it has plenty of fruit on, I hope these are a better quality of fruit than the other tree that I had to remove because of disease. In this veggie patch I also have Amaranth, a Lime tree, Rosemary, the self seeded pumpkin vine and a few old fashioned "apple" cucumber plants that are doing well. All the greenery on the left hand side is chia plants that I grew from seed. Once they start flowering they should attract more bee action to the garden.

My little fruit grove, all in pots, from left-
A Panama Berry, a Grumichama, a Japoticaba, and a Lychee. The Lychee was grown from seed

In our veggie pod, some almost going to seed Bok Choy, my well used Perennial Coriander and in the middle is surinam spinach, delicious in salads.

My pride and joy, the Lemon Myrtle tree. I make the most beautiful tea from its leaves, delightful hot or cold.

After having one of the driest summers on record, this rain has been a blessing, I just wished we had everything in the ground as the pots do dry out so quickly, however it has been a little cooler so maybe Autumn has finally arrived. 

What is your garden up to, at this time of year?

4 comments

  1. There's some lovely plants growing in your garden, Fiona. I know the rain has been devastating for so many folk but for us here it was a blessing given how dry it has been. I've spent the weekend rejuvenating some of my garden beds, the ones that I grow food in. Although there's nothing in our main veg patch right now, there's still silverbeet, spring onion, perpetual spinach, passionfruits forming, herbs galore and mandarins that are just beginning to blush orange. After such a hot, dry Summer, I'm happy with that! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona,
    In regards to your pumpkins, have you tried hand pollinating them? You just need to get a small paintbrush and brush the stamen of the male flower to collect some pollen and then brush the stamen of the female flower to transfer the pollen. This is best done in the morning. In my experience, the little pumpkins rotting and dropping off is usually due to poor pollination either through a lack of bees or simply because the male and female flowers are not open on the same day. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kylie about the hand pollinating, though you don't need a brush, just pick and peel back the petals from the male flower - the one without a pumpkin and poke the bit with all the pollen into and around the female stigma. Also if the fruit is not taking it might be a variety from hybrid plant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your garden tour, so many interesting and productive areas.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top