Getting Ready For Camping

Hello Dear Reader,


Lovely Hubby and I spent yesterday getting ready to go camping this week, we will leave in a few hours to go to our favourite camping spot, where we will be until Saturday.  I have chosen to spend my 50th Birthday, camping at Noosa North Shore, I couldn't think of any place I would rather be. It is a significant milestone and I have purposely chosen to go camping for my birthday, not because I'm afraid of turning 50 or because I want to avoid any kind of celebration, but because this place makes me wildly happy and I feel more relaxed here, than any where else. It doesn't cost a fortune to stay here and we bring everything we need for the week, so it is a frugal holiday in monetary terms, but I feel it enriches our mind, body and spirit to go to this beautiful place every now and then.


On the food front, I have done a few things differently this time. I have pre cooked a meal of Chorizo and Chickpea "Savoury Mince" to have as an easy dinner tonight, it is just this recipe I use for pot pies, with the addition of a cup of tomato pasata, I will steam some potatoes to go with this delicious dish. I have also made up our usual Rissole mix and frozen it down to have for another two nights and we bought two trays of Wagu Beef and Caramelised Onion sausages from "The Meat Truck" at the markets to have for two nights as well. To go with these BBQ meats I made an Asian Coleslaw made with sliced Wombok, Spring Onions, Toasted Almonds and Crunchy Noodles. I have also pre made the dressing which is made with vinegar, sugar, soy and sesame oil. I will just dress the coleslaw and add the crunchy noodles as we need it. I find the noodles go soft if you mix them in with the Wombok to early.


For lunches this week, I have also changed things up a bit, we usually just bring tins of tuna and either bread rolls or wraps, this time though I have brought plain noodles, with flavoured tuna, small tomatoes and cucumber to mix up a tuna noodle salad each day. I hope it will be nice. It should be filling enough.

As usual, Lovely Hubby has checked over our camping gear to make sure it is all okay and in good working order. When we pack up our camp we make sure everything is clean and sand free so we can just pack it away in the garage, when we get home and it is ready to go again for next time. Camping can be hard work, but it is so worth it.


We plan to fish every day, targeting Whiting, as it is our most favourite fish to eat. They will be Winter Whiting though, so they will be a smaller fish compared to the huge Summer Whiting we caught in February. It means we will need to catch more to make a meal, but hey, thats part of the fun, isn't?

Tune in everyday, as I hope to update my blog while we are away, but that depends if my clunky old laptop decides to play nice. 

Are you a camper? What meals do you precook to bring along for the first night or two?

4 comments

  1. Firstly, Happy 50th! What a milestone birthday!!
    Secondly, what a great way to spend it! I couldn't think of anything better myself! I may steal that idea and go camping in my favourite place for my 50th in a few years time!
    No need to say have a great time, you can't not have a good time when you are camping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to you, Fiona. I can't think of a better way to spend it, immersed in nature in your favourite place ... enjoy it! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I typed a lengthy comment this morning on my I-pad however it then crashed. I just wanted to wish you a very Happy 50th Birthday and I love the way you are spending it doing what you love.

    Enjoy ��.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Enjoy your holiday break, it sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top