My Daily Rituals That Make Me Happy and Healthy

Hello Dear Reader,

As I age, taking care of myself, inside and out, is more important to me than any cosmetic quick fix, for instance I spend more time brushing my teeth than putting on makeup. Once upon a time I would spend a long time getting ready for the day, with perfect makeup and hair, but now I would rather put that time into eating well and taking good care of my body. What I do in a day to keep myself healthy doesn't cost a lot, both in time and actual money, but I always feel better for doing it. Little and often, is the key for me.

I start the day with a couple of big glasses of filtered rain water and a glass of water kefir, the water is virtually free, there is an outlay of a new charcoal filter for the water filter, every three months, but over time the cost is negligible, and the water kefir had an initial cost of $25.98, but with care, it will last me forever.


I then make myself a big cup of Green Tea with Papaya leaf, oh I love this tea, it does contain some caffeine, but it is full of antioxidants and good for your tummy, Papaya leaf. The Papaya leaf also makes the tea slightly sweeter than normal green tea. You'll know what I mean if you've left your green tea brew too long, it can be quite bitter. With this tea, no matter how long you brew it for, it is never bitter.


Next is breakfast, I have been having and loving the same breakfast for a long time and as I love it so much, I don't think I will be changing any time soon. My home made Muesli with Cocoquench and a bowl of fruit and yoghurt. This keeps my going until morning tea time. On the weekend we have Avocado Toast with an egg, which we love and look forward to.



To keep my sanity, during breakfast, I usually write my list of things to do for the day ahead, in my diary. It means all those thoughts that are swirling around my head get written down and I can then forget about those distracting thoughts. I have been using the Ivy Lee method for a while now and it works really well for me.

Getting ready for the day is a simple process, clothes wise I spend all week in a uniform, which is great, I never have to think about what to wear. On the weekends and after work, it is easy to pick what I will wear as well, jeans and long sleeved t-shirt in winter and the Summer version when it's hot, shorts and t-shirt, easy.


As far as a "Beauty Routine" I simply wash my face with this solid cleanser, after cleansing, I mist my face with rosewater (homemade from a rosewater concentrate) and then moisturise both face and body with whatever moisturiser I am currently using. Coming into this time of year with the cooler, drier air, my skin dries out even more, so I make sure I slather more moisturiser on, both morning and night. At the moment I am using two homemade moisturisers, one is this solid moisturising bar and the other is a whipped Shea Butter lotion, both cost very little to make and are just beautiful to use on your skin.

I get a little exercise each day in the form of riding to and from work, it's not a lot, I know, but I always think it's better than nothing. My job is quite active as well, with lots of walking and incidental exercise throughout the entire day. I also walk the dogs every afternoon, again it's not very far but I feel it's good for my and the dogs.


I try to eat a good morning tea and lunch, as I find I do get quite hungry and then my mind starts to stray if I don't feed myself enough good things. Morning tea is often yoghurt with nuts or fruit, celery and nut butter or a homemade treat. Lunch can be a toasted sandwich, crackers and cheese or if I am lucky, some leftovers, like todays lunch, there was some soup leftover from last week and I froze the last portion to eat at a later date. I will eat that with a couple of slices of buttered toast and morning tea today is plain yoghurt with red papaya and celery and homemade nut butter


Drinking lots of water is another thing I am passionate about, my darling Mum had to have a kidney transplant when I was ten and that made us all hyper aware of how important it is to look after our kidneys. Ironically I found out a few years ago that I only have one kidney, so it makes me even more careful of what I put in my body. I know you can get along just fine with one kidney, but I never want to take my health for granted or jeopardise my one healthy kidney. I quite often go out and pick herbs before I leave home, to put in my glass water bottle at work, with a combination of lemon myrtle, basil, mint, vietnamese mint and kaffir lime leaves, featuring most days. We have a chilled and filtered water fountain at work and I top up my water bottle several times during the day. 


The last thing I will include in my daily rituals that make me happy and healthy, is going to bed early and getting at least eight hours sleep each night. I like to get up early, at quarter to five so most nights I am in bed by eight, reading for about half an hour and asleep by eight thirty. Due to a hormonal imbalance years ago, I went for a long time, getting very little sleep, once that problem was corrected, I now sleep so well and treasure my good nights sleep.

All the things I have listed cost nothing or very little, they all add quality and value to my life on a daily basis and I feel blessed and lucky to be able to do so.

What little things do you do everyday, to enhance your happiness and health?

No comments

Back to Top