Quick and Easy, Beef and Noodle Stir Fry

Hello Dear Reader,

On this weeks menu, I had planned to make an easy, standby meal, that we have been making for years, Mince and Egg. It is just beef mince, finely chopped onion and Kecap Manis sauce, all sautéed up together, the egg part comes later on, when serving with rice. Now, I don't serve mine like this, but lovely Hubby and Son serve their steamed rice, topped with the sautéed mince and then they crack an egg over the top, they then mix through the raw egg into the hot rice and mince, the egg par cooks and they just love it. This was probably the first dish I learnt how to cook, when I first started dating lovely hubby, all those years ago.

I deviated from this great standby as I had some Wombok to use up, it was left over from when I made an Asian Coleslaw to take with us camping, enter this great little recipe. I simply googled "Beef mince and Wombok" and this is the recipe I chose. I have tinkered with the recipe a little to suite our taste and what I had on hand.

Ingredients for Quick and Easy, Beef and Noodle Stir Fry, clockwise from top left-
500 grams of beef mince, 3 cups of finely shredded Wombok, 1 teaspoon flaked chilli, 2 tablespoons curry powder, 1 red onion, 2 cloves garlic, a thumb size piece of ginger, 3 spring onions, 1/2 cup each chicken stock (I use Massel stock cubes) and oyster sauce and 300 grams fine egg noodles

Finely chop/slice spring onions, red onion, ginger and garlic. Reserve and put aside, the green ends of spring onions for serving. Put noodles in a large bowl and pour over boiling water, let stand for 3 to 5 minutes (depending how fine your noodle is) and then drain well in a colander, fork over to separate noodles and set aside until needed

Add oil to a medium-hot, non stick pan (I use Swiss Diamond), then add onion, white part of spring onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté for 2 minutes then add the chilli flakes and curry powder. Turn heat down to medium-low and continue sautéing for 2 more minutes. If it looks a little dry, add some water and continue sautéing

Move spicy onion mixture to one side of pan, add mince and brown mince well, breaking up any lumps as you go

Once mince is cooked through, pour combined stock and oyster sauce over mince and spicy onions, stir to combine

Now add the Wombok, let it cook down for 1 to 2 minutes. If needed, refresh noodles in cold water and then add noodles to pan. Mix, gently but thoroughly, to combine all ingredients

Serve sprinkled with finely chopped, green ends of spring onions

Quick, easy and nutritious, it's a winner!

I still have 1/2 a Wombok left, any ideas on what to do with it?

1 comment

  1. I like meals like these. Sorry I can't help with the Wombok as I've never used them before.

    The original recipe sounds interesting. I love egg so like the sound of mixing the raw egg through at the end.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top