What we bought, spent and ate this week

Hello Dear Reader,

I have tried three new recipes this week and am really happy with how they turned out, the first one was a new way with brussel sprouts, they are served with blue cheese and pomegranate with a red wine vinegar dressing, I will post the recipe soon as they were so delicious. I was a bit hesitant using blue cheese so I bought a soft creamy blue cheese from Aldi as it is not as strong, I needn't worry though as the balance of flavours were spot on. The pomegranate were home grown.

The second new recipe was meatballs in the most wonderful, flavoursome, tomato sauce, we loved it so much I am making it again this coming week only this week I will serve it over pasta. I will post that recipe soon as I think it is fab, it is quick to put together, using everyday ingredients and as I said, super delicious. And the third new recipe this week came from a lovely lady at work, it is for a simple and really tasty prawn and pasta dish, using lemon, chilli and garlic served over linguini and topped with a crunchy parmesan crumb, oh my, it was amazing! Again, I will post that superb recipe soon. Thanks Jen!

Now on with what we bought, spent and ate-

What we bought
Shopping from ALDI, Coles, Woolworths and the Rothwell Fruit Barn, sorry the photo is so dark. The Red Paw Paw you see in the centre is going back to the Rothwell market when I go today, it is still hard as a rock but going off at the same time, something is really wrong with fruit if it is still too hard to eat but going off as well! It cost $8.00 and I feel that is too much money to waste.

We take our own bags and containers for produce to be put into, it is easy to do at the markets, not so easy at the supermarkets. I will have to contact the manager to see what their policy is on putting meats bought at the deli into a clean container I have bought from home. It is a bit hit and miss with some staff happy to do it and others not. I buy chicken breast when it is on special ($8.00 a kg) I use it for dog training as the reward. The RSPCA training uses the "click and reward" system and it is working incredibly well.

Shopping from the Sunday markets, really exceptional strawberries, raspberries and avocado, they have all been perfect, not one blemish

What we spent
Sunday Markets-

Fruit and Veggies-$15.00

Rothwell Fruit Barn-$72.98

Coles-$6.57

ALDI-$31.55

Woolworths-$14.26

TOTAL-$140.36

Saturday and Monday-Tempura Whiting with steamed basmati rice and asian greens

Sunday-Slow Cooked Beef and Red Wine with Parsley Dumplings served with steamed broccoli. Remember the not so wonderful rib fillet that we bought from the markets a few weeks ago, well it was meltingly tender in the slow cooker. We spoke to the owner of "The Meat Truck" last week and we told him about the tough and sinew-y fillet, he said he is happy to give us something else to make up for the, not so great meat. As we didn't need any meat last week, we will see what he can do for us this week. 

Tuesday-Spinach, feta and roast pumpkin savoury rolls with Brussel Sprouts, Blue Cheese and Pomegranate salad

Wednesday-Lemon and Garlic Prawn Pasta with Parmesan Crumb 

Thursday and Friday-Cheesy Meatballs with mashed potatoes and broccoli

I like to keep trying new recipes, especially when I have most of the ingredients already at home or are easily bought from ALDI and don't cost a fortune. I don't hesitate to take food items back if I am not happy with them, food is expensive and I won't pay good money just to have food that is going off or not of good quality. I can put up with "ugly"or misshapen fruit, no problem, but I will not be sold dodgy fruit or veg especially when you are paying top dollar for it.

 Have you tired any new recipes lately? And do you take produce back that you aren't happy with? 

10 comments

  1. I love reading your blog daily. I have no choice now but to Stay Home instead due to health issues . So my dream of my 5 acres and self sufficiency is now going to be my reality . Your blog is inspiring and a pleasure to read Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my pleasure, thanks for reading. Have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete
  2. I too love reading your blog but don't comment often, but always enjoy your photos, especially of your plated meals! It gives me inspiration to try some different meals as my husband is not always keen to try anything different but I keep adding some new ideas that I get from your blog. Also the size of the portions help me to make sure I don't cook too much as that is sometimes my biggest problem, and once it is cooked we are tempted to eat it all!!
    We also love camping in the bush, but have a caravan and like to get away as often as we can. All the best and thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rosie, I do love blogging and really, it takes not much time and the stuff I blog about is happening in my life anyway. I also do it for my daughter who lives up on Cairns, it helps her out with ideas for dinners and simple living. Have a lovely weekend. Fi

      Delete
  3. Fiona some lovely meals there. Your post reminds me that I need to take some mouldy cheese back to Coles before the use-by date passes. I have been putting it off for weeks and yes, food is too expensive to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nanna Chel,
      I love looking at what other people are having for dinner as it gives me ideas of what to cook also. I definitely agree, food is too expensive to waste!

      Delete
  4. I have started to return poor quality produce to the supermarket if I happen to get it, it's getting too expensive not to! Over summer I bought a bag of grapes, I got them home and they were aweful, very sour and flavourless. I drove back to Coles that afternoon to return them, the manager handled it very well, he even tasted one and agreed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl,
      I think if produce is not up to expectations then it should be returned. I am not talking about misshapen/oversized fruit or veg I will happily buy wonky produce, but if something is not right, like your sour grapes, then the place where you bought it from must be informed. Like your experience with the manager, the manager of the Rothwell Fruit Barn (Nick) took the feedback really well, in fact he already knew about the problem with the paw paws and gave me two smaller red paw paws as a replacement (he has sourced them from another grower) so we will see how these ones go. Have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete
  5. I tend to compost below par fruit/veg as I feel that it's better to return it to the Earth rather than drive it back to the shop. I think it might just end up in the bin from there. That means I don't get my money back though:( I have phoned a couple of shops before to complain, the last time being when I bought some supposedly fresh ricotta from supermarket deli only to find it was off and smelling horrid when I unwrapped it when I got home. I no longer buy fresh ricotta from that particular supermarket. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, I have struggled with this dilemma, what is the right thing to do? Do I keep the bad fruit or veg, feed it to the worms and return it to the earth or do I take it back, inform them of the lesser quality of their fruit or veg and get a replacement? You are quite right, the bad product will just end up in landfill producing more methane, but then I am out of pocket. It is very rare that I need to return a product preferring to use up less than perfect fruit. I will happily poach soft pears to make a beautiful dessert an turn daggy bananas into a yummy cake, but the rock hard paw paw that is also going off is not something that I can do anything with. It is a dilemma isn't?
      Have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete

Back to Top