Cheesy Meatball Skillet

Hello Dear Reader,

I found this recipe while scrolling through the online recipe collection "Taste". I wanted a really quick recipe for meatballs in a tomato-y sauce, it needed to be quick as I was cooking it on a night when I take Lulu for her dog training. I get started with dinner and housework about 4.30 after a quick cuppa when I get home from work, and I needed to be at the dog park for training at 6pm. Not a lot of time, but plenty of time to make this great little recipe. It packs in loads of flavour and as we found out, reheats beautifully the next day and is even more tasty on standing. As with most recipes I try, I have modified this one, slightly, to reflect the ingredients I had on hand, you can find the original recipe here.

It is also very economical and uses everyday ingredients that I usually have on hand, the first time I made it, I served it with buttery mashed potato and steamed broccoli, but on this occasion I cooked some fine egg noodles to go with the meatballs and divine sauce. As there is oodles of sauce it went perfectly with the fine pasta. Which ever way you serve it, it is an absolute winner. Easy, filling, tasty!

Ingredients for Cheesy Meatball Skillet, clockwise from top left-
500 grams beef mince, 1 teaspoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, 1 bottle of tomato Passata, 1/2 teaspoon flaked chilli, 200 grams cubed eggplant, 2 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 onion, 3 garlic cloves grated on a microplane, 1 egg, a small handful of fresh oregano, 1/2 cup grated mozzarella, 60 grams fresh breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese.

Finely chop 1/2 the onion and grate the other half

In a large bowl, add the mince, breadcrumbs, grated onion, tasty cheese, tomato paste, finely chopped oregano and egg

Using your hands, mix well to combine

 Form the meat mixture into little meatballs and brown well in a non stick, heavy based fry pan

Once well browned, remove to a plate 

Add a little oil to the same pan and sauté the finely chopped onion and diced eggplant


Now add the bottle of Passata, add a small amount of water (about 1/3 of a cup) to the empty bottle, swish and add liquid to pan

Add the brown sugar and balsamic and give it a good stir

Let blip away on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes to let all the flavours mingle

Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese 

And pop under a hot grill until cheese is melted and bubbly

Serve with veggies or over pasta as there is plenty of sauce for the pasta

Easy, warming and filling, it also make quite the quantity, plenty for four hungry adults with leftovers for lunch the next day, which makes it very economical. It's a keeper!


1 comment

  1. That would go down well at our place, I think I'll be putting that on the menu plan!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top