Grilled Brussels Sprouts Salad with Walnuts, Pomegranate Arils and Soft Blue Cheese

Hello Dear Reader,


As you might know by now, I watch very little TV, but a while ago, just after the loss of my Mother in law, I was watching a bit of TV on a Saturday night just to while away the time, channel flicking really, not watching anything in particular. I stumbled upon what I thought was a cooking show, only to find out it was one of those reality shows, starring Tori Spelling and her husband. Now, apparently, they can really cook and just love nothing better than cooking huge dinner parties, decorating the whole house, and inviting all their celebrity friends. Oh, I sound so jaded don't I? I am sure that they really can cook and do make all their own decorations, if only it didn't seem all so staged. Anyway, long story short, I scored this terrific little recipe while watching a show I wouldn't normally watch. You never know where you will find a wonderful recipe do you?


I think you either love or hate Brussels Sprouts, I have always loved them, simply steamed with butter,  salt and pepper. When I saw this recipe, I thought it would be a great way to use our home grown Pomegranates, when they were ripe. So, that is exactly what I did. The other ingredients are pecans (but I used walnuts) and blue cheese (but I used a light and creamy soft blue cheese). I also changed the dressing to suit what I had on hand and it turned out just beautiful, it is a really lovely way to serve Brussel Sprouts. I also parred down the quantities to mirror our little family, using 500 grams of Brussel Sprouts, which was plenty for the four of us, that was sitting at our dinner table, that particular night.

Ingredients-

Brussels Sprout Salad
500 grams Brussels Sprouts
1/4 cup oil (I use Rice Bran Oil for everything)
2 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Freshly ground salt and black pepper
1/4 cup walnuts, roasted in a pan or in the oven
1/3 cup Pomegranate arils
1/3 cup crumbled soft blue cheese (I used Aldi brand)

Dressing
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
good grind of salt and pepper
1 spring onion, sliced finely

Method-

1. To prepare the  Brussels Sprouts, slice end off Brussels Sprouts and halve, add to salted boiling water and once it has come back to the boil, cook for 2 minutes, drain and immediately put Brussels into an ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain and then put into a lint free tea towel to excess absorb moisture

2. For the marinade, in a large bowl mix together the oil, garlic, mustard powder, paprika, salt and pepper, mix well and add the cooked, drained and dried Brussels Sprouts to the marinade and toss to coat

3. Remove Brussels from marinade (reserve remaining marinade) and place the Brussels Sprouts cut side down on a hot grill or hot pan (I used a non stick, heavy based fry pan) and cook until slightly charred, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook until Brussels Sprouts are cooked through but still have a semi-firm bite, again about 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool

4. For the dressing, in a lidded jar, add the remaining marinade and the dressing ingredients, pop the lid on and shake, shake, shake

5. To assemble the salad, Place cooled Brussels Sprouts in a serving bowl or platter, top with roasted walnuts and pomegranate arils, add dressing and toss well and top with soft blue cheese

Such a beautiful combination of textures, colours and flavours, it's a winner.

Over to you, what unusual places have you found wonderful recipes?

No comments

Back to Top