Really Simple Date Loaf

Hello Dear Reader,


This recipe comes from a blog called "Frugal and Thriving" and I have baked it countless times over the years. It is one of those really simple recipes that always works and tastes just wonderful. The ingredients list isn't exhaustive and again uses simple ingredients usually found in your pantry and fridge. I always have a few Weetbix leftover from when we go camping so this recipe speaks to my frugal, no waste, soul.

I have tinkered with the original recipe slightly, using brown sugar instead of white and only using 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 cup. The only stipulation is that you must use Weetbix not Vitabrits, the reason is Weetbix contains malt and Vitabrits doesn't, it all comes down to flavour. It is a super moist loaf that is beautiful slice fresh and spread with butter or toasted with peanut butter and honey. YUM!

Ingredients for Really Simple Date Loaf, clockwise from top left-
1 cup of dates, chopped, 1 teaspoon bicarb soda, 1 cup boiling water, 4 Weetbix, crushed, 2 eggs, beaten, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 cup SR flour

Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a loaf tin by greasing and lining with baking paper. In a bowl, add the chopped dates, bicarb soda, brown sugar and crushed Weetbix and mix well

Pour over the boiling water and let sit for 5 minutes

Mix in the beaten eggs

And then add the SR flour

Mix until just combined, don't over mix

Pour into a prepared loaf tin (greased and lined) and bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 180C or until a skewer comes out clean

Devour fresh from the oven with a hot cup of tea. That is my kind of bliss.

Have a lovely day.

10 comments

  1. It's so odd Fiona, I didn't have anything with dates in it on my menu plan this week, but when I was grocery shopping I threw a packet of dried dates in the trolley, total impulse purchase! I was thinking of making date loaf or date scones or sticky date pudding with it, but I am just going to have to try this recipe now, it sounds so quick and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe Fiona. This reminds me a little of those fruit and nut type loaves Mum used to make in one of those rounded nut loaf tins. You don't really see them much anymore. I actually want to look into buying one as well as one of those pudding steamers - Mum still uses hers.
    I've kept your recipe and will let you know how I go.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I still have my mums date and nut loaf tins, I haven't used them but I can't bear to give them away. This is a beaut recipe, always so delicious. Have a lovely day Kylie.
      Fi

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen a date loaf recipe with Weetbix before, Fiona. What a great recipe! Thanks for sharing, it will definitely go on list of cakes here. I love date loaf with loads of fresh butter...oh, now I'm hungry thinking about that:) Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, I agree, everything is better with butter.
      Fi

      Delete
  4. What a quick recipe. I need to take a plate to a meeting this coming Monday, so will give it a try.
    Thanks, Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine,
      You won't be disappointed, it is quick to make and just delicious.
      Fi

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness what an easy recipe I'll have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine,
      Yes it is a very simple loaf, it whips up in no time.
      Fi

      Delete

Back to Top