Silverbeet Impossible Pie

Hello Dear Reader,


I had bought a very large bunch of Silverbeet a few weeks ago and had intentions of making a Spanakopita but I neither had the time or the energy to make one, so it morphed into this Silverbeet Impossible Pie. Impossible Pies were all the rage about 20 years ago, there was a recipe for every kind of Impossible Pie, sweet or savoury, using a huge range of ingredients. I think I made hundreds of this type of one using just ham and cheese for a cheap and quick throw together dinner when our family was younger and were on a very lean budget.

This Silverbeet Impossible Pie has all the flavours of a Spanakopita minus the faff of filo and is very tasty and filling. I wilted the leaves of the Silverbeet down in a large saucepan and added the frozen cubes of chopped Dill I had in the freezer at the very end of cooking. I then cooled, drained and squeezed most of the moisture out of the Silverbeet. You can, of course, just use a couple of packets of frozen spinach instead.

 Ingredients for Silverbeet Impossible Pie, clockwise from top left-
4 eggs, 1&1/2 cups milk, a bunch of Silverbeet, leaves only, cooked as above, 2 tablespoons Dill, finely chopped, 3 spring onions (or one giant on from your garden) chopped finely, a small handful of parsley, finely chopped, 2 tablespoons Dill, finely chopped (not pictured) 2 garlic cloves, grated on a microplane, 1/2 cup SR flour and 3/4 cup grated tasty cheese

Preheat oven to 200 C. In a small frypan sauté the spring onions and garlic for a few minutes

In a large bowl, combine the pre-cooked silverbeet, cheese and spring onion and garlic mixture

In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and flour together

Then add milk and whisk to combine

Lightly grease a pie dish and add the silverbeet mixture 

Pour over egg mixture

And bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set and golden

Full of goodness and super easy

I keep all the stalks of the Silverbeet and make another side dish with them. I will be posting the recipe soon. For an average bunch of silverbeet the stalks weigh up to 500 grams, plenty to make this particular recipe. I love the no waste aspect of this and making two delicious dished out of one of my favourite veggies, Silverbeet. 

Do you remember when Impossible Pies first were popular? What was your favourite Impossible Pie?
And why were they even called that?

2 comments

  1. Oh, yum! Now I have a fresh idea for using up more silverbeet from the garden. Thanks for the recipe, Fi, there's always some deliciousness here on your blog! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are using the stalks, can't wait to see that recipe, and I love that you include how you use your frozen herbs, it jolts me to stop and think...what do I have in the freezer that I can use. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top