Simple Baked Egg Custard

Hello Dear Reader,

I actually didn't like this dessert when I was a young girl, I don't know weather it was the texture or the taste of the nutmeg, but I really detested this particular dessert. Well, fast forward just a few years, ahem, and I now love this simple, humble and delicious dessert. It takes no time at all to put together and uses every day ingredients, usually already in the pantry and fridge. I don't usually keep dairy milk in the house but I had some milk left over from when my Niece and family came for dinner last Sunday and decided to use it up in this great little recipe.

This baked egg custard is made a touch more special with the addition of 1 cup of cream, you can easily omit this and just use three cups of milk instead, but I think the cream definitely makes this, already lovely dessert, more luscious. One other thing, don't skip adding the salt, I am not sure if it comes down to chemistry, but not adding salt really alters the taste and the texture.

The baked custard is cooked in a bain-marie and you can make little individual baked custards or one large one, I think the little individual ones are super cute and kinda special.

Ingredients for Simple Baked Egg Custard, clockwise from top right-
2 cups of milk plus 1 cup of cream (or just 3 cups of milk) 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence, freshly grated nutmeg, 1/2 cup sugar, 4 room temperature eggs, 1/4 teaspoon salt. 


Preheat oven to 180C and place six lightly greased, 3/4 cup capacity, ramekins in a high sided baking tray large enough to hold bowls without touching each other or the sides.
Heat milk in a smallish saucepan until very hot, that is, starting to steam with just a few small bubbles starting at the edges

Meanwhile in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, salt and freshly grated nutmeg

Until blended

Pour hot milk into egg mixture 

And whisk well

Pour custard into prepared ramekins

Fill the ramekins as evenly as possible

Put into preheated oven and pour in enough hot tap water to reach within 1/2 inch of the top of the ramekins. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centre of the custard comes out clean. The centres should be soft with a bit of a wobble.

Serve warm or cold

Delicious with cream or ice-cream

Oh, and I have been known to add a teaspoon of raw sugar to the top of a cold baked custard and get out the blowtorch to turn it into an, almost, Creme Brûlée, mmm!

I know it is old fashioned but, done well, this is a classic and delicious dessert. What "old fashioned" or "classic" dessert do you make and love?

2 comments

  1. Thankyou, thankyou for the recipe! I shall be making them soon, perhaps tonight. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baked egg custard too and use four eggs to two cups of milk with nutmeg sprinkled on top. I use cold milk and strain my mixture - an old school book recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top