Sultana and Spice Loaf

Hello Dear Reader,

Well, this week, I had a bit of a dilemma. I had some cream starting to go off, it was only one day out of the "best before" date and the large carton I buy every two weeks usually lasts well until the last drop. I buy single cream, without thickening agents and both my son and I love it in our coffees. The dilemma occurred when I was about to pour the slightly off cream down the drain, I found I just couldn't do it, wow, I must be really frugal or just a bit bonkers, when I can't stand to throw away one cup of cream!! And now I have told everyone how crazy I must be, but I just can't stand waste of any kind.

So what did I do? I kept the cream, poured it into a jug to measure how much there was (exactly one cup) and googled "cooking with slightly off cream" and guess what? I am not the only mad woma to think"maybe I can cook something with cream that has gone past its best". So I made this Sultana and Spice Bread and I have say, it is delicious.

I guess I just wanted to see if it worked, as I had heard of people using "sour" cream in baking to give cakes and breads a good rise and light texture, well it certainly did that. The recipe I found is an American one, but as usual, I have tinkered with the recipe and used sultanas instead of raisins and also reduced the amount of sugar from 1 cup to 2/3 of a cup. It uses bread flour and makes a sturdy loaf, which cuts well and is beautiful fresh or toasted. I cut it while it was still warm from the oven to taste it and it was crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside and yesterday, when had another piece, I toasted it and spread it liberally with butter, oh my it was so delicious.

Out of the carton, this cream didn't have that slightly sour smell at all and looked perfectly fine. I certainly wouldn't jeopardise my or my families health by serving something that I thought could potentially lead to food poisoning, frugal or not.

Ingredients for Sultana and Spice Bread, clockwise from top right-
2/3 cup of white sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, 1 cup of slightly sour cream (not totally off), 1 cup of sultanas, 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon allspice, 1/2 teaspoon ground clove, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon bicarb soda, a pinch of salt and 2 cups of bread flour 

In a large bowl, add the bread flour, sugar , spices and salt

Now use a whisk to mix and aerate 

Add the sultanas and coat them in the flour and spice mixture

In a small bowl whisk the egg and vanilla together

Add the bicarb soda to the cream and stir to dissolve

Add the egg mixture to the cream and mix well

Add the egg and cream mixture to the flour, spice and sultana mixture

Add mix until just combined

Pour and scrape into a greased and lined loaf tin. Bake at 170C for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. It will smell heavenly.


So, I have bared my frugal, no waste, soul. What do you think? Have I taken it too far this time or does it make sense to you, not to waste a thing. 

3 comments

  1. Well Fiona if you're crazy then I must be too. I would have done the exact same thing as you. I can't bear to throw any food away at all nowadays. I scan the internet like a mad woman and always find something useful, always.
    Well done and the more of us who do this the better I think.
    We are just so much more aware these days and I've really noticed a massive change in how I think, shop.......my list is endless. I'm glad I've woken up - aaaah where was I?
    The other good thing here is our kids are learning early and they're noticing a lot more.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, hip hip hurray for another no waste, frugal soul. I can't imagine what I would be like if I actually grew/raised/bred/crafted all of what we eat, I wouldn't be able to throw away a crumb! I love that your kids are involved in the kitchen, it will pay huge dividends in years to come.
      Fi

      Delete
    2. Fiona, it makes perfect sense! I have been using "off" milk for years, taste great in all baking, my kids love when I make pancakes and waffles with it.

      Delete

Back to Top