Wednesday, 28 June 2017

Tuesday Afternoon Bargains

Hello Dear Reader,

Yesterday afternoon I called into Coles on the way home from work, on my bike, to pick up a carton of cream, for our coffees, as the one we had in our fridge had started to go off. It was only one day out of the "best before" date and we normally we have no issues with using the cream, before it starts to turn. Anyway, while I was there, I thought I would have a look through the fresh produce section to see if there were any fruit and veg marked down. I was lucky to find the following-


From left

3 x bunches of Watercress at 50 cents each-they have been picked over, washed and stored in an airtight container to be used for this recipe-Potato, Avocado and Watercress Salad


A kilo bag of organic carrots for $1.37-I will make this delicious soup-Carrot and Coriander Soup. I have made it before, years ago. I will look forward to making it later today for lunches.

2 x bunches of Continental Parsley at 50 cents each-I have picked the bunches over, cut the stems off a bit and put both bunches into a tall, wide glass with iced water. I will use the parsley over the next few days where I can and then I will chop the rest finely and freeze it down for later use


A kilo bag of Baby Red Royale Potatoes for $2.62-I will use some of them up in the same recipe as the watercress above and then just use the rest in the week ahead.




As I walk through the supermarket and have a good look at the markdowns, I will only buy what I can use within a few days to a week and of course, only what we like to eat. Nothing is a bargain, no matter how cheap it is, if you don't use it, like it or eat it.

Does your local supermarket mark items down close to closing time or on a particular day? Do you hunt out the bargains?

2 comments:

  1. I tend to only go to the shops once a week and if I find a bargain I am pretty happy. I like what you said about a bargain isn't so if you don't use it or like it, no matter how cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love supermarket bargains - often find great dairy products well marked down at local Iga and they stock a lovely organic bread that is sometimes marked down. This week I picked up some discounted chicken from Coles after 7 still within use by just close to it!

    ReplyDelete