What we bought, spent and ate this week

Hello Dear Reader,

This weekly topic whips around quickly doesn't?  I hope you are not sick of it yet, I keep posting it, as I know, I love to read what other people are buying and eating too, I think it gives us inspiration for dinner ideas. The season has most definitely changed with winter arriving on Thursday, I have dug out my ugg boots, winter PJ's and warm gown and I also put on our waffle thermal blanket on our bed on Wednesday night. I have actually had the blanket ready to put on for a couple of weeks but really hadn't needed it until now.

On the shopping front, I went to the Rothwell Fruit barn again on Saturday and picked up some beautiful fruit and veg and while I was there, I took back the Red Paw Paw that had not ripened but was going off at the same time from the previous week. It cost about $8.00 which I felt was too much money to waste, but also I felt the owners needed to know what their produce was like. The owner was really lovely and already knew how disappointing these particular Red Paw Paws had been. He gave me two replacement Red Paw Paws from a different grower he is trying, I also mentioned the pineapple I had bought was black on the inside when I cut it, he replaced it with another two smaller pineapples, again he was aware of this problem. So, it does pay to take produce back that is not up to standard, I am not talking about wonky or misshaped fruit and veg, just the produce that has something really wrong with it and is sold at full price.

It was a bit of a different week, dinner wise, with lovely hubby going to a mates birthday bash out on a rural block, on Saturday night, I stayed at home, as it really was just a bloke-y get together and I really dislike being out in the cold. That night I had leftovers, which I was so grateful for. Also my dinner plans went array on Thursday as I had to go to an all day Allied Health Assistant Forum at Brighton and I didn't get back on the Peninsula until nearly 5, I had to be at dog training with Lulu at 5.30, so my plans for making a Spinach Impossible Pie, went out the window, instead I picked up a BBQ chicken, some coleslaw and bread rolls, I know, not ideal but it was cheaper than takeaway and there was enough leftover for lunches the next day.

What we bought
Shopping from ALDI. I bought two red Paw Paws from ALDI before I went out to the Markets as I was unsure if they would help me out by replacing the dodgy fruit I had bought the week before. I now have a good supply of beautiful ripe Red Paw Paw
Shopping from Coles. Lovely Hubby put the chips in the bag, they were to have while watching State of Origin, which began this week
Shopping from Rothwell Fruit Barn
Meat from "The Meat Truck" at the Sunday morning markets. The lovely owners of "The Meat Truck" kindly gave me the Oyster Blade as a replacement for the, not so wonderful, Rib Fillet we bought a couple of weeks ago
The Cheese Man has a great weekly special-any 4 products for $10.00, there were actually 2x2 packs of yoghurt, you just can't see it in the photo
Berries and Avocado's from the Berry Man

What we spent
ALDI-$39.07

Coles-$46.58 + $18.00 for our Thursday night "instead of takeaway" dinner

Rothwell Fruit Barn-$49.81

Sunday Markets

The Meat Truck-$29.55

The Cheese Man-$10.00

Berries and Avocado's-$15.00

TOTAL-$208.01

This was a more expensive week this week, but I find it is like that, it ebbs and flows depending on how many staples we need that particular week. 

What we ate
Saturday-I had leftovers from this Cheesy Meatballs dinner I had made on Thursday. I just cooked some pasta to have with the meatballs and glorious sauce that was left
Sunday-Mushroom and Red Onion Tart with Brussel Sprout, Blue Cheese and Pomegranate Salad
Monday-Pan Fried Reef Fish with Potato, Watercress and Avocado Salad
Tuesday-Pineapple Chicken with Steamed Basmati Rice and Choy Sum
Wednesday-Tempura Whiting with Steamed Basmati Rice and Bok Choy

Thursday-BBQ Chicken and Coleslaw Rolls

Friday-Spinach Impossible Pie with Maple Syrup and Allspice Roasted Pumpkin

So, that was what was on our family table this week, over to you, I'd love to hear what you have been enjoying.




1 comment

  1. I made a new dish this week, it was a chicken and broccoli casserole in a white sauce with a parmesan crust on top, it was a winner, and will likely end up as a regular dish on my menu plan.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top