What we bought, spent and ate this week

Hello Dear reader,

It seemed like I hardly cooked this past week, with having a Wine and Cheese movie night on Saturday night, the Feijoada for three nights running, Sunday to Tuesday, lovely hubby pan frying fish on Wednesday,  a simple but glorious Red Lentil Dahl for Thursday evening and then I threw together another of this Prawn Pasta dish last night. 

All the recipes were super simple and except for the cooking time for the Feijoada (at least 6 to 8 hours) were all very quick and easy to put together. Actually, the Feijoada doesn't feel like cooking at all because all you do is cut meat and veggie up, open a few cans and throw them into a big pot at different intervals, not fine gastronomy at all.

The Red Lentil Dahl is my tried and true recipe that I have been making for years, it is just jam packed with flavour, filling and easy to make, all big ticks in my books, and a great meat free dish to counter the meat heavy Feijoada we had earlier in the week.

What we bought

Shopping from Coles-I rode up to Coles on my bike for these few items and while putting the bags into my bike basket, I accidentally drop one of the bags, of course it was the one with the eggs in it! When I got home I checked out the egg carton and I had only cracked one egg and slightly damaged one other. I took out all the eggs from the carton, as it was a bit soggy, hence the eggs in a bowl. So as not to waste the cracked egg, I poured it into a bowl, whisked it and cooked it up for the little dogs.  


Shopping from the Northside Discount Fruit Barn


Meat from the Butcher at the same complex as the Rothwell Fruit Barn. They were only too happy to put the meat in some plastic containers I had bought with me, SWEET! No single use plastic bags coming into the home


Shopping from Aldi, now that I know the Rothwell butcher will put meat into containers I bring in from home, I will start buying the dog mince from there too. 

What we spent
Coles-$15.23 + some shopping later in the week (not pictured) 2 x tomatoes, 5 kg's bread flour, yeast and some King Island Ash Bree that was dramatically marked down to clear=$25.30
Northside Discount Fruit Barn-35.25
Rothwell Butcher-54.35
Aldi-$32.65

TOTAL-$162.78
What we ate
Saturday-Lovely Hubby and I had a date night at home. We had a cheese platter, crackers, olives and hummus with a few glasses of wine, white for me and red for him. We had bought two of the blocks of cheese from the Swiss Cheese Man at the Edmundi Markets, while we were up that way for my Birthday, back in May. The King Island double bree, in the middle of the platter, is from The Cheese Man here at our local Sunday morning markets. We enjoyed this dinner while watching a movie (Baby Boom) an oldie but a goodie

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday-I made a huge pot of Feijoada for a family dinner on Sunday evening, and it just kept on giving. 

Wednesday-Pan Fried Fish with Potato, Avocado and Watercress Salad

Thursday-Red Lentil Dahl with steamed Basmati rice, chutney and papadums

Friday-Prawns with lemon, chilli and garlic with Parmesan and garlic crumb and steamed Broccoli

A week of not a lot of cooking but we still ate some delicious meals. Over to you, I would love to hear what has been on your menu this week.


1 comment

  1. I love that you are making the effort to bring your own containers for your meat, I never seem organised enough to do that!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top