Tuesday, 27 June 2017

Wonderful Quinoa, Roast Pumpkin and Broccoli Salad

Hello Dear Reader,

Just a quick post this morning. Last night when I went to make dinner, I discovered that I only had 2 potatoes left for the mashed potatoes I had planned to make, to go with some fresh fish, lovely hubby had caught on Sunday. Unfortunately I also needed those spuds for the Colcannon, I want to make later in the week and as I really didn't want to go to the supermarket to buy more, I had a quick look through the fridge and pantry, hit google and found this great little recipe.

I have tinkered with the original recipe a bit, by adding some steamed broccoli to make it more of a complete dish. It was quick, super tasty and just lovely with the pan fried reef fish. I had one last little wedge of pumpkin left and a head of broccoli that hadn't been used as yet, from last week, so in they went. I have coriander that has self seeded in the gravel along the footpaths of our garden and there are still some limes on our tree, so this little salad came together very easily.

Ingredients for Wonderful Quinoa, Roast Pumpkin and Broccoli Salad, clockwise from top left-
300 grams of pumpkin, cubed, 1/2 a head of broccoli, 2 teaspoons of Ras El Hanout, juice of one lime, a couple of bunches of coriander and 3/4 cup of Quinoa, rinsed really well

On a lined baking tray, pour 1 tablespoon of oil over the pumpkin cubes and then sprinkle over the Ras El Hanout. Rub spice all over pumpkin 

Roast until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside to cool

Meanwhile, cook Quinoa in 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to the boil, turn heat down, pop a lid on the saucepan and let cook away on low for 10 to 12 minutes or until all moisture has been absorbed. Turn Quinoa into serving dish and pour over juice from 1/2 the lime. Gently fork over to mix lime juice into Quinoa

Top with cooled pumpkin and cooked and cooled broccoli. I cut the broccoli into small flowerettes, bought them to the boil and cooked them for 2 minutes, poured off boiling water and immediately plunged into iced water to stop the cooking. Drain well. Top broccoli with chopped coriander, including the stalks and root.

Pour over rest of lime juice and toss gently to just combine.

A quick, complete and deliciously fresh salad, for anytime of year. 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely adore these kinds of salads, Fiona. They are so tasty, healthy and full of nutrition. Broccoli is so very good for us! I am going to make this salad on the weekend as I have all the ingredients here, yum! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete