Carrot and Coriander Soup

Hello Dear Reader,

Did you know that carrots and coriander are in the same botanic family? That must be why this soup is just so darn delicious. It is light, creamy and refreshingly different. I made it years ago and had almost forgotten about it until I saw this bag of discounted organic carrots last Tuesday and knew I had to make this soup again. I served the soup with cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches and it made a simple and wholesome dinner.

I grow traditional coriander as well as sawtooth coriander, both varieties have gone a bit nut in the garden at the moment. The traditional coriander has self seeded and is growing in the gravel that is between the garden beds and the pavers, I swear it is growing the best I've ever seen. As soon as I start to fuss over something it usually dies or gets a pest or disease. So, I just let these rogue coriander plants do their thing in the gravel. They seem content enough. The sawtooth coriander is planted in the veggie pod and is just so healthy and prolific, I will have to give it a tidy up soon by dividing up the mother and baby plants to give it some more room. 

Ingredients for Carrot and Coriander Soup, clockwise from top right-
1 litre of veggie stock (I use Massel stock cubes) plus a 1 litre of water, 1 kilo of carrots, peeled and roughly chopped, freshly grated nutmeg to serve, juice of 1/2 a lime to serve, a good bunch of coriander, finely chopped, including the root, 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped, 2 onions, roughly chopped, salt and pepper to taste, 2 teaspoon ground coriander and 1/4 cup of cream to serve, not pictured (easily omitted)

In a large heavy based saucepan, sauté the carrot, onion and garlic in some butter and oil until softened


Add the ground coriander, salt and pepper and sauté until fragrant, about one minute

Add the stock and water and bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat, pop the lid on and let cook away for an hour. The longer you cook it the more flavour it will have. I let it cook away on low, while I was at home on Sunday, for four hours

Before you blitz the soup add the chopped coriander 

And then blitz with a stab blender until super smooth

Now add 1/4 cup of cream (easily omitted, but it does make the soup really special), freshly grated nutmeg and lime juice

I served ours with toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches

Have a lovely Wednesday.

No comments

Back to Top