Monday, 17 July 2017

Cheesy Carrot and Zucchini Fritters

Hello Dear Reader,

These are a fantastic little fritter, so delicious and very quick to make and I love that there are no fancy ingredients, just normal, everyday veggies and some pantry staples. As you probably have read, we are trying to eat less meat, to lessen our grocery bill and I know it is better for us not to eat meat every night of the week. You don't need any fancy equipment either, just a grater, a bowl, a whisk and a spoon. The addition of some grated cheese make these little beauties even more special, they fry up golden brown with a lovely crisp outside and a soft veggie full inside. They are definitely kid friendly and I think they would also be ideal to send to school for a tasty, healthy and easy to eat, lunch.

We served our fritters hot from the pan with a dill and parsley mayonnaise, a light and lovely spinach and cucumber ribbon salad, dressed simply with olive oil, salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime. As I mentioned, they would be just lovely for a packed lunch for work or school, if you are lucky to have any left over, that is. I made these last night and they were just perfect for a casual Sunday night dinner.

This recipe makes about 10 good size fritters, you could easily double or even triple the recipe to suit you and your family and I think they would freeze well, in-between layers of silicon paper, in an air tight container.

I always use powdered milk in cooking as we don't drink cows milk, however I do use fresh milk to make our homemade yoghurt, but when I make yoghurt I use the whole 2 litres in one go and there is never any left over. I find it convenient to keep a cow in the cupboard and in cooking I can't tell the difference.

Oh and don't skip the step of wringing out the grated zucchini in a clean, lint free tea towel, if you skip this step the mixture will be too wet, it won't set well or be crispy, so please don't miss this important step, okay?

Ingredients for Cheesy Carrot and Zucchini Fritters, clockwise from top left-
1 carrot, grated, 50 grams of cheese, grated, 1 zucchini, grated and wrung out in a clean, lint free tea towel, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup plain flour, 2 spring onions, cut finely and 1 tablespoon milk

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs well and then add all veggies and cheese to the same bowl

Mix well

Now add flour and milk

And mix really well until well combined. If you have the time, let sit for flavours to mingle for 1/2 an hour, at room temperature

Heat a heavy based, non stick frypan to medium heat, add a small amount of oil and gently fry until set underneath

Flip and let gently fry for another few minutes 

I served ours with dill and parsley mayonnaise and a spinach and cucumber ribbon salad 

Quick, Easy, Delicious. Sunday dinner, done.

Whats is your, go to recipe, for a quick and easy Sunday dinner?

One Year Ago-Sourdough Crumpets

2 comments:

  1. Yummo. I love zucchini. My problem is that I eat it raw before it makes it to the recipe. I eat it like you would an apple. Then you served it with dill - aaaaah you had me with the zucchini but then the dill. Another favourite of mine, I just can't stop eating it once I start.
    I usually make zucchini fritters without the cheese so I'll give your recipe a go, thanks for sharing.
    Our Sunday is typically spaghetti bolognese however I sometimes resort to toasted sandwiches for an easy dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, Dill just happens to be my all time fav herb, I could eat dill sauce by the spoonful! And a simple cheese and Vegemite sandwich is my fav toastie especially during winter.
      Have a lovely day.
      Fi

      Delete