Old Fashioned Corn Fritters

Hello Dear Reader,


These little golden morsels are real comfort food for me, there is something about sweet juicy corn in a soft and light batter that speaks to my heart and soul. They are just so delicious with some bacon and maple syrup or with some sweet chilli sauce or tomato relish, just-so-good. They are a doodle to make, just do yourself a favour and make the batter up hours before or even the day before you fry them. It allows plenty of time for the gluten in the flour to relax and the fritters will be light and fluffy not doughy and tough. 

Ingredients for Old Fashioned Corn Fritters, clockwise from top left-
2 cups of frozen corn, 240 grams plain flour and 3 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 3/4 cup of milk(I use powdered milk), 30 grams of melted butter, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon each of finely chopped parsley and garlic chives

Whisk together the flour and baking powder

Whisk together the milk and egg

Pour milk and egg mixture into flour mixture and whisk until smooth 

Now add in the corn, melted butter and herbs

Mix well to incorporate, now let sit for a few hours or overnight to let the gluten in the flour to relax

Heat a heavy based, non stick fry pan to medium heat, add a small amount of oil and fry spoonfuls of batter. Flip the fritter when small bubbles start to appear.

Cook second side until golden

Morning sun on the freshly cooked fritters

I served ours with bacon, butter and maple syrup, so decadent and just delicious.

So, from just a few humble ingredients you have a delicious breakfast or light lunch or dinner. They would also be lovely served with sliced ham or corned silverside. 

Have a lovely Tuesday. 

6 comments

  1. I do like corn fritters, I like the look of this recipe too, simple and no fuss or fancy ingredients.
    Great tip on letting them rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingredients we always have here. I love the golden colour from the corn. Isn't powdered milk great for recipes. It is an absolute staple here.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happens if you don't let the gluten relax? These fritters look perfect, I want to make them for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yum! We've had fritters for dinner this week, using up some zucchini from the garden, but I love corn fritters too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to convert this recipe to tbsp and cups. We're actually metric here in Canada but somehow recipes are still in the old measurements. I didn't realize you use ounces in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kira,
      We use metric measurement here in Oz, however my darling Mum still used pounds and ounces long after the metric system came in. I have a handy dandy conversion list that I refer to often as I read American blogs with recipes using imperial measurements. Have a lovely day.
      Fi

      Delete

Back to Top