Thursday, 13 July 2017

Slow Cooked Korean Beef

Hello Dear Reader,

Wow, what a fantastic recipe this one is, it is from Mels Kitchen Cafe, and as usual it is a stunning recipe, that is perfect in every way. It is quick to put on, it is made in the slow cooker (my favourite kitchen appliance) and the results are amazing. Soft, unctuous, fall apart meat, a flavour filled sauce and dinner on the table with hardly any work, what's not to love?

Actually the thing that took most time was cutting up the carrots into fine matchsticks, in Mels recipe she buys pre-cut, bagged carrots, I am too frugal for that and I didn't want another plastic bag coming into the house. So I cut carrots up, that I bought home, in no plastic, into matchsticks, not that it was difficult and really didn't take too much time. I have huge spring onions growing at the moment so one of these was more than enough for the garnish at the end. I also omitted the onion and garlic powder that was in the original recipe, I would much rather add a finely chopped onion and more garlic than use powdered anything.

I put this wonderful dinner, in the slow cooker, last Sunday, before I left for the day to visit the French Festival in Brisbane, both my sister and I had a hoot of a day, doing all things French, but the best part was knowing dinner was already on.

Ingredients for Slow Cooked Korean Beef, clockwise from top left-
1/2 cup chicken stock (I used 1/2 a Massel Chicken stock cube), 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup light soy sauce, a good grind of black pepper, a few dashed of hot chilli sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1&1/2 kg of shin beef, cut into 1-inch cubes, 1/2 a small onion, chopped finely, 1 tablespoon grated ginger and 4 garlic cloves, grated

Put cubed meat into the bowl of the slow cooker. In a jug, mix together the chicken stock, light soy, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, chilli sauce, onion and pepper

Pour this mixture over the beef and stir to coat. Set slow cooker to low for 8 hours, if you are home give it a good stir over, after 4 hours.

To finish the dish, cut 2 medium carrots into thin strips, finely chop 1 big or 2 regular spring onions, sesame seeds to garnish and 2 tablespoons cornflour dissolved in 3 tablespoons cold water

Turn slow cooker to high and stir in carrot strips and cornflour mixture and let cook away for another 30 minutes until sauce has thickened and carrots have softened slightly

Turn out into a serving dish and garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds

We served ours with steamed basmati rice and Asian greens

It looks and tastes like you have been fussing over this dish all day, the flavours are spot on, not too sweet and not too salty. I would estimate it took me 15 minutes to put this dish on in the morning, before leaving for the day, that includes cutting up the meat (the kitchen job I hate most) and probably the same amount of time, cutting up the spring onions and carrots, in the evening. So for 30 minutes of actually doing something in the kitchen you are rewarded with a super delicious dinner. YEAH!!!

Have a lovely Thursday.



1 comment:

  1. I like dishes like this Fiona. How good it must have been when you arrived home from a wonderful day out to a warm dinner. The aroma alone when you opened the door would have been so comforting.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete